Re: [E_Rapier] Blade List

  • argh@cogeco.ca
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
      John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
      descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

      The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
      alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
      that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
      opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
      crunching time.

      Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
      pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
      the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
      Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
      get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

      Hope that helps.

      Aaron Miedema
      It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.