Re: [E_Rapier] Blade List

  • Aaron Gormanshaw
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
      Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
        I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
        get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
        short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
        experimental list.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
          On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
          <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
          > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

          There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
          so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
          between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
          really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
          lot more of the german stuff than I have.

          Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
          hilt on it.

          --j
        • argh@cogeco.ca
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
            John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
            descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

            The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
            alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
            that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
            opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
            crunching time.

            Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
            pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
            the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
            Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
            get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

            Hope that helps.

            Aaron Miedema
            It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.