Re: [E_Rapier] Blade List

  • Aaron Gormanshaw
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
      Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend.  They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all.  I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.

      Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

      :o)

      Hoskuld

      ________________________________
      From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
        I had a funny feeling that's what they where. So, if anybody is interested
        in playing with Meyer, we'll be giving it a try a Der Welfengau practices.
        I'm not sure when the next one is as there are none in December but they are
        usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month starting at 8 pm. I also need
        some time to read the book.

        From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
          On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
          <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
          > Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend. They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all. I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.
          >
          > Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

          Really?
          They seem a little short (especially in the grip) for german longsword...

          --j
        • Aaron Gormanshaw
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
            Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
              I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
              get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
              short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
              experimental list.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
                so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
                between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
                really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
                lot more of the german stuff than I have.

                Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
                hilt on it.

                --j
              • argh@cogeco.ca
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                  John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
                  descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

                  The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
                  alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
                  that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
                  opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
                  crunching time.

                  Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
                  pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
                  the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
                  Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
                  get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Aaron Miedema
                  It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.