Re: [E_Rapier] Back from the dead?

  • Nicholas J. Corkigian
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
      Ah, Sebastian!

      I miss the giant spoon!!

      -Nikolai

      >> Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
      >>
      >> I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
      >> posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
      >>
      >> Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
      >> Sebby. ;)
      >>
      >> I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
      >> happening around, fencing-wise.
      >>
      >> Damn my expired authorization. >_<
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Seb
    • bradstone82x
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
        Wow. o_O

        That's a lot of responses.

        I'm still a cook, so my free time is rather limited. Although the
        restaurant I'm at currently is closed for the most part on
        weekends...

        Any sign of Eoforwic fight practices rejuvinating?

        Also, saturday afternoon fencing in a park is quite nice, if the wind
        isn't too cold. ;)

        Albrecht: Those are the swords I own -- the Hanwei practical
        mortuary swords.

        They rock.

        What all is going on in the kingdom, fencing-wise these days? Who
        has fight practices, and when?

        Yours in fencing,

        Sebastian Greenwood
      • Aaron Gormanshaw
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
          Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend.  They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all.  I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.

          Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

          :o)

          Hoskuld

          ________________________________
          From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
            I had a funny feeling that's what they where. So, if anybody is interested
            in playing with Meyer, we'll be giving it a try a Der Welfengau practices.
            I'm not sure when the next one is as there are none in December but they are
            usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month starting at 8 pm. I also need
            some time to read the book.

            From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
              On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
              <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
              > Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend. They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all. I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.
              >
              > Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

              Really?
              They seem a little short (especially in the grip) for german longsword...

              --j
            • Aaron Gormanshaw
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                  I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
                  get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
                  short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
                  experimental list.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                    On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                    <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                    > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                    There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
                    so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
                    between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
                    really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
                    lot more of the german stuff than I have.

                    Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
                    hilt on it.

                    --j
                  • argh@cogeco.ca
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                      John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
                      descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

                      The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
                      alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
                      that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
                      opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
                      crunching time.

                      Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
                      pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
                      the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
                      Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
                      get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

                      Hope that helps.

                      Aaron Miedema
                      It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.