RE: [E_Rapier] Back from the dead?

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
      If those are the blades he has, and they are the only mortuary sword blades
      I can find on the list, yes, they are approved for C&T. It doesn't look like
      the most recent list of blades has been updated as of yet, so I'm not sure
      how "official" the list I got from the KRM list is. It was dated in July and
      done by the current DSRM. I'll try to find out from the DSRM when the list
      will be updated to the SCA site.

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

        Apparently the list I have is official and will be updated on the SCA.org
        site sometime soon. I'll post it to the files section of the Yahoo group for
        your perusal. It has some interesting things on it, like the Hanewi
        practical hand and a half sword (the newer three fuller version), C&T only:

        http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2106

        I can't wait until I see someone pull one of those out at an event.

        From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
        On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Eve Harris & David Stamper
        <evedave1@rogers. <mailto:evedave1%40rogers.com> com> wrote:
        > Is this the sword:
        >

        > http://www.kultofat
        <http://www.kultofat
        <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
        > hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
        a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua
        > ry+Sword.htm
        >

        > If so, it's usable, but for Cut & Thrust rapier only.
        >

        > Albrecht
        >

        > _____
        >
        > From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
        > Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
        >
        > I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
        > posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
        >
        > Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
        > Sebby. ;)
        >
        > I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
        > happening around, fencing-wise.
        >
        > Damn my expired authorization. >_<
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Seb

      • Nicholas J. Corkigian
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
          Ah, Sebastian!

          I miss the giant spoon!!

          -Nikolai

          >> Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
          >>
          >> I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
          >> posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
          >>
          >> Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
          >> Sebby. ;)
          >>
          >> I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
          >> happening around, fencing-wise.
          >>
          >> Damn my expired authorization. >_<
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >>
          >> Seb
        • bradstone82x
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
            Wow. o_O

            That's a lot of responses.

            I'm still a cook, so my free time is rather limited. Although the
            restaurant I'm at currently is closed for the most part on
            weekends...

            Any sign of Eoforwic fight practices rejuvinating?

            Also, saturday afternoon fencing in a park is quite nice, if the wind
            isn't too cold. ;)

            Albrecht: Those are the swords I own -- the Hanwei practical
            mortuary swords.

            They rock.

            What all is going on in the kingdom, fencing-wise these days? Who
            has fight practices, and when?

            Yours in fencing,

            Sebastian Greenwood
          • Aaron Gormanshaw
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
              Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend.  They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all.  I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.

              Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

              :o)

              Hoskuld

              ________________________________

              From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                I had a funny feeling that's what they where. So, if anybody is interested
                in playing with Meyer, we'll be giving it a try a Der Welfengau practices.
                I'm not sure when the next one is as there are none in December but they are
                usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month starting at 8 pm. I also need
                some time to read the book.

                From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                  On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                  <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                  > Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend. They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all. I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.
                  >
                  > Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                  Really?
                  They seem a little short (especially in the grip) for german longsword...

                  --j
                • Aaron Gormanshaw
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                    Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                      I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
                      get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
                      short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
                      experimental list.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                        On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                        <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                        > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                        There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
                        so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
                        between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
                        really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
                        lot more of the german stuff than I have.

                        Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
                        hilt on it.

                        --j
                      • argh@cogeco.ca
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                          John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
                          descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

                          The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
                          alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
                          that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
                          opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
                          crunching time.

                          Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
                          pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
                          the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
                          Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
                          get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

                          Hope that helps.

                          Aaron Miedema
                          It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.