Re: [E_Rapier] Back from the dead?

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
      Those are legal for cut and thrust?
      Facinating.
      They have almost no flex at all.
      -j

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
        If those are the blades he has, and they are the only mortuary sword blades
        I can find on the list, yes, they are approved for C&T. It doesn't look like
        the most recent list of blades has been updated as of yet, so I'm not sure
        how "official" the list I got from the KRM list is. It was dated in July and
        done by the current DSRM. I'll try to find out from the DSRM when the list
        will be updated to the SCA site.

        <evedave1@rogers. <mailto:evedave1%40rogers.com> com> wrote:
        > Is this the sword:
        >

        > http://www.kultofat
        <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
        a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

          Apparently the list I have is official and will be updated on the SCA.org
          site sometime soon. I'll post it to the files section of the Yahoo group for
          your perusal. It has some interesting things on it, like the Hanewi
          practical hand and a half sword (the newer three fuller version), C&T only:

          http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2106

          I can't wait until I see someone pull one of those out at an event.

          From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

          <http://www.kultofat
          <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
          > hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
          a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua
          > ry+Sword.htm
          >

          > If so, it's usable, but for Cut & Thrust rapier only.
          >

          > Albrecht
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
          > Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
          >
          > I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
          > posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
          >
          > Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
          > Sebby. ;)
          >
          > I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
          > happening around, fencing-wise.
          >
          > Damn my expired authorization. >_<
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Seb

        • Nicholas J. Corkigian
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
            Ah, Sebastian!

            I miss the giant spoon!!

            -Nikolai

            >> Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
            >>
            >> I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
            >> posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
            >>
            >> Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
            >> Sebby. ;)
            >>
            >> I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
            >> happening around, fencing-wise.
            >>
            >> Damn my expired authorization. >_<
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Seb
          • bradstone82x
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
              Wow. o_O

              That's a lot of responses.

              I'm still a cook, so my free time is rather limited. Although the
              restaurant I'm at currently is closed for the most part on
              weekends...

              Any sign of Eoforwic fight practices rejuvinating?

              Also, saturday afternoon fencing in a park is quite nice, if the wind
              isn't too cold. ;)

              Albrecht: Those are the swords I own -- the Hanwei practical
              mortuary swords.

              They rock.

              What all is going on in the kingdom, fencing-wise these days? Who
              has fight practices, and when?

              Yours in fencing,

              Sebastian Greenwood
            • Aaron Gormanshaw
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend.  They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all.  I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.

                Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                :o)

                Hoskuld

                ________________________________

                From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                <http://www.kultofat

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                  I had a funny feeling that's what they where. So, if anybody is interested
                  in playing with Meyer, we'll be giving it a try a Der Welfengau practices.
                  I'm not sure when the next one is as there are none in December but they are
                  usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month starting at 8 pm. I also need
                  some time to read the book.

                  From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                  <http://www.kultofat

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                    On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                    <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                    > Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend. They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all. I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.
                    >
                    > Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                    Really?
                    They seem a little short (especially in the grip) for german longsword...

                    --j
                  • Aaron Gormanshaw
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                      Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                        I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
                        get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
                        short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
                        experimental list.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                          On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                          <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                          > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                          There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
                          so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
                          between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
                          really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
                          lot more of the german stuff than I have.

                          Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
                          hilt on it.

                          --j
                        • argh@cogeco.ca
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                            John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
                            descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

                            The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
                            alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
                            that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
                            opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
                            crunching time.

                            Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
                            pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
                            the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
                            Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
                            get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

                            Hope that helps.

                            Aaron Miedema
                            It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.