Re: [E_Rapier] Back from the dead?

  • Aaron Gormanshaw
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 10 10:04 AM
      Sebastion!

      Are you available to play?  I'd love to play Backsword with you...

      :o)

      Hoskuld the crazy

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 10 10:06 AM
        Sebastian,

        You are a difficult one to forget..Especially with that lunge.
        Eoforwic Rapier practices are at an end for the winter as the fight
        site contract is run out.

        Skeldergate has practices, at least practice space.

        Cheers,
        Yvonne
        Jocelyn

        --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "bradstone82x" <sebastian@...>

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 10 10:16 AM
          Greeting my Lord Sebastian of Greenwood!

          You are remembered with great fondness, at least by me, and I am sure by
          others in Ealdormere. You haven't been absent that long, or am I just
          getting old? To others who have not met Sebastian, he is a good gentleman
          and a very skilled fencer. Beware of the spoon! What make are the mortuary
          swords? I'll check the approved blades list to make sure you can play with
          them. If they are kosher you could use them to play Cut & Thrust.

          It's nice to hear from you again.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 10 10:18 AM
            Is this the sword:

            http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua
            ry+Sword.htm

            If so, it's usable, but for Cut & Thrust rapier only.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 10 10:30 AM
              Those are legal for cut and thrust?
              Facinating.
              They have almost no flex at all.
              -j

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 10 11:46 AM
                If those are the blades he has, and they are the only mortuary sword blades
                I can find on the list, yes, they are approved for C&T. It doesn't look like
                the most recent list of blades has been updated as of yet, so I'm not sure
                how "official" the list I got from the KRM list is. It was dated in July and
                done by the current DSRM. I'll try to find out from the DSRM when the list
                will be updated to the SCA site.

                <evedave1@rogers. <mailto:evedave1%40rogers.com> com> wrote:
                > Is this the sword:
                >

                > http://www.kultofat
                <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
                a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 10 1:10 PM
                  Greetings!

                  Apparently the list I have is official and will be updated on the SCA.org
                  site sometime soon. I'll post it to the files section of the Yahoo group for
                  your perusal. It has some interesting things on it, like the Hanewi
                  practical hand and a half sword (the newer three fuller version), C&T only:

                  http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2106

                  I can't wait until I see someone pull one of those out at an event.

                  From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

                  <http://www.kultofat
                  <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
                  > hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
                  a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua
                  > ry+Sword.htm
                  >

                  > If so, it's usable, but for Cut & Thrust rapier only.
                  >

                  > Albrecht
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                  > Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
                  >
                  > I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
                  > posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
                  >
                  > Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
                  > Sebby. ;)
                  >
                  > I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
                  > happening around, fencing-wise.
                  >
                  > Damn my expired authorization. >_<
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Seb

                • Nicholas J. Corkigian
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 10 3:12 PM
                    Ah, Sebastian!

                    I miss the giant spoon!!

                    -Nikolai

                    >> Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
                    >>
                    >> I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
                    >> posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
                    >>
                    >> Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
                    >> Sebby. ;)
                    >>
                    >> I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
                    >> happening around, fencing-wise.
                    >>
                    >> Damn my expired authorization. >_<
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,
                    >>
                    >> Seb
                  • bradstone82x
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 10 10:41 PM
                      Wow. o_O

                      That's a lot of responses.

                      I'm still a cook, so my free time is rather limited. Although the
                      restaurant I'm at currently is closed for the most part on
                      weekends...

                      Any sign of Eoforwic fight practices rejuvinating?

                      Also, saturday afternoon fencing in a park is quite nice, if the wind
                      isn't too cold. ;)

                      Albrecht: Those are the swords I own -- the Hanwei practical
                      mortuary swords.

                      They rock.

                      What all is going on in the kingdom, fencing-wise these days? Who
                      has fight practices, and when?

                      Yours in fencing,

                      Sebastian Greenwood
                    • Aaron Gormanshaw
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 11 2:28 AM
                        Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend.  They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all.  I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.

                        Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                        :o)

                        Hoskuld

                        ________________________________

                        From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                        <http://www.kultofat

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 11 4:52 AM
                          I had a funny feeling that's what they where. So, if anybody is interested
                          in playing with Meyer, we'll be giving it a try a Der Welfengau practices.
                          I'm not sure when the next one is as there are none in December but they are
                          usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month starting at 8 pm. I also need
                          some time to read the book.

                          From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                          <http://www.kultofat

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 11 7:16 AM
                            On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                            <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                            > Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend. They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all. I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.
                            >
                            > Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                            Really?
                            They seem a little short (especially in the grip) for german longsword...

                            --j
                          • Aaron Gormanshaw
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 11 7:25 AM
                              Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 11 7:30 AM
                                I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
                                get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
                                short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
                                experimental list.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 11 8:16 AM
                                  On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                                  <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                                  > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                                  There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
                                  so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
                                  between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
                                  really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
                                  lot more of the german stuff than I have.

                                  Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
                                  hilt on it.

                                  --j
                                • argh@cogeco.ca
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 11 8:45 AM
                                    John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
                                    descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

                                    The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
                                    alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
                                    that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
                                    opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
                                    crunching time.

                                    Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
                                    pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
                                    the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
                                    Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
                                    get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

                                    Hope that helps.

                                    Aaron Miedema
                                    It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.