Re: [E_Rapier] Blades / Clancy Day

  • David Whitford
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 9, 2007
      Umm going by most period masters you use a blade that
      goes with their height. I forget which one even goes
      over a "golden" number or something to that effect,
      and a man who's 6'4" would probably use a blade about
      45" long or so. At the 5'11"-6'1" area its about
      40-43. So there really is nothing wrong with a tall
      person using a long blade. I can try and get Don
      Aeron's notes on this if folks really want
      them(assuming he can take break at law school to
      forward them)
      Robert
      --- Gerrard <itsurnkl@...> wrote:

      > Clancy Day:
      > Interesting Stuff : They take draw cuts but not push
      > cuts. Most seemed to play with " long swords ". (
      > Even the ones that are 6 ft 4 inches tall and
      > already have long reach )

      Get your own web address.
    • argh@cogeco.ca
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10, 2007
        I can for the time remaining that I am a student acquire--albeit sureptitiously any of the english manuals in pdf
        format.

        Aaron

        > Another source but thelink evades my memory right now
        > is William Wilsons stuff for Tattershall
        > Robert
        > --- John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On 4/10/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > The only thing that's clear is that I need to do
        > > some reading on Silver and
        > > > Saviolo...and then catch up with you again. Any
        > > suggestions? Links? Here's
        > > > what I've found on these two...I'd prefer to get
        > > as pure copies as possible.
        > > > I like to translate myself. I understand Silver's
        > > manuals are already in
        > > > English (well, antiquated but readable) however I
        > > must ask if Saviolo's
        > > > manuals were done in Italian or English? Are there
        > > any other places you can
        > > > suggest for me to look?
        > >
        > > Saviolo was done in English. The transcriptions you
        > > have found are the
        > > most easily accessable but you can also find
        > > reproductions of both.
        > >

        > http://www.amazon.com/Elizabethan-Fencing-Manuals-Giacomo-Grassi/dp/0820111074
        > > contains Digrassi, Saviolo and Silver.
        > >
        > > It's worth it if you want to read the originals.
        > >
        > > Chivalry Bookshelf has an interpretation of Silver
        > > done by Steven Hand
        > > that includes a trascription. It's not bad, but read
        > > the original
        > > before you take Hand's word as gospel .
        > >
        > > Likewise, a friend of mine is working on an
        > > interpretation of Saviolo
        > > for CB but I don't know when it is expected to be
        > > finished. If you are
        > > interested, I can put you in touch with him.
        > >
        > > --j

        > Need Mail bonding?

        Aaron Miedema
        Lente autem non celer sum.