Back from the dead?

  • bradstone82x
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
      Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!

      I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
      posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...

      Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
      Sebby. ;)

      I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
      happening around, fencing-wise.

      Damn my expired authorization. >_<

      Cheers,

      Seb
    • Aaron Gormanshaw
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
        Sebastion!

        Are you available to play?  I'd love to play Backsword with you...

        :o)

        Hoskuld the crazy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
          Sebastian,

          You are a difficult one to forget..Especially with that lunge.
          Eoforwic Rapier practices are at an end for the winter as the fight
          site contract is run out.

          Skeldergate has practices, at least practice space.

          Cheers,
          Yvonne
          Jocelyn

          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "bradstone82x" <sebastian@...>

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
            Greeting my Lord Sebastian of Greenwood!

            You are remembered with great fondness, at least by me, and I am sure by
            others in Ealdormere. You haven't been absent that long, or am I just
            getting old? To others who have not met Sebastian, he is a good gentleman
            and a very skilled fencer. Beware of the spoon! What make are the mortuary
            swords? I'll check the approved blades list to make sure you can play with
            them. If they are kosher you could use them to play Cut & Thrust.

            It's nice to hear from you again.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
              Is this the sword:

              http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua
              ry+Sword.htm

              If so, it's usable, but for Cut & Thrust rapier only.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                Those are legal for cut and thrust?
                Facinating.
                They have almost no flex at all.
                -j

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                  If those are the blades he has, and they are the only mortuary sword blades
                  I can find on the list, yes, they are approved for C&T. It doesn't look like
                  the most recent list of blades has been updated as of yet, so I'm not sure
                  how "official" the list I got from the KRM list is. It was dated in July and
                  done by the current DSRM. I'll try to find out from the DSRM when the list
                  will be updated to the SCA site.

                  <evedave1@rogers. <mailto:evedave1%40rogers.com> com> wrote:
                  > Is this the sword:
                  >

                  > http://www.kultofat
                  <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
                  a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008

                    Apparently the list I have is official and will be updated on the SCA.org
                    site sometime soon. I'll post it to the files section of the Yahoo group for
                    your perusal. It has some interesting things on it, like the Hanewi
                    practical hand and a half sword (the newer three fuller version), C&T only:

                    http://www.casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=SH2106

                    I can't wait until I see someone pull one of those out at an event.

                    From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com

                    <http://www.kultofat
                    <http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
                    > hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortu
                    a> hena.com/product~item~PC2076~name~Hanwei+Practical+Mortua
                    > ry+Sword.htm
                    >

                    > If so, it's usable, but for Cut & Thrust rapier only.
                    >

                    > Albrecht
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                    > Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
                    >
                    > I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
                    > posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
                    >
                    > Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
                    > Sebby. ;)
                    >
                    > I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
                    > happening around, fencing-wise.
                    >
                    > Damn my expired authorization. >_<
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Seb

                  • Nicholas J. Corkigian
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                      Ah, Sebastian!

                      I miss the giant spoon!!

                      -Nikolai

                      >> Greetings to the Rapier List from Sebastian the Absent!
                      >>
                      >> I miss fencing like a heroin addict misses his hit. I'm also in
                      >> posession of two very fine (and remarkably unused) mortuary swords...
                      >>
                      >> Just thought I'd throw that out there, and see who remembers ol'
                      >> Sebby. ;)
                      >>
                      >> I have to go to work now, but I'll check back to find out what's
                      >> happening around, fencing-wise.
                      >>
                      >> Damn my expired authorization. >_<
                      >>
                      >> Cheers,
                      >>
                      >> Seb
                    • bradstone82x
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 10, 2008
                        Wow. o_O

                        That's a lot of responses.

                        I'm still a cook, so my free time is rather limited. Although the
                        restaurant I'm at currently is closed for the most part on
                        weekends...

                        Any sign of Eoforwic fight practices rejuvinating?

                        Also, saturday afternoon fencing in a park is quite nice, if the wind
                        isn't too cold. ;)

                        Albrecht: Those are the swords I own -- the Hanwei practical
                        mortuary swords.

                        They rock.

                        What all is going on in the kingdom, fencing-wise these days? Who
                        has fight practices, and when?

                        Yours in fencing,

                        Sebastian Greenwood
                      • Aaron Gormanshaw
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                          Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend.  They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all.  I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.

                          Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                          :o)

                          Hoskuld

                          ________________________________

                          From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                          <http://www.kultofat

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                            I had a funny feeling that's what they where. So, if anybody is interested
                            in playing with Meyer, we'll be giving it a try a Der Welfengau practices.
                            I'm not sure when the next one is as there are none in December but they are
                            usually the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month starting at 8 pm. I also need
                            some time to read the book.

                            From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com

                            <http://www.kultofat

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                              On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                              <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                              > Uhh, I have one that was loaned to me by a friend. They have a really nice flex on the thrust, but don't wobble at all. I'll have a second in hand sfter Gulf War.
                              >
                              > Those are the blades that You & I are going to play with for German Longsword from Meyer...

                              Really?
                              They seem a little short (especially in the grip) for german longsword...

                              --j
                            • Aaron Gormanshaw
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                                Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways.  Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                                  I've used one before. It's not perfect but it's as close as we are going to
                                  get for now. The grip seemed to be usable two handed but the blade is a bit
                                  short. The Hanwei Federschwert hasn't been approved yet but it is on the
                                  experimental list.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                                    On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Aaron Gormanshaw
                                    <agormanshaw@...> wrote:
                                    > Yes, the handle's a little bit short, but we're going to try to work with it anyways. Do you have any suggestions as to where we'll run into issues?

                                    There's lots of places in the german swordwork where the arms are held
                                    so that the hands are crossed. In those situations, having the space
                                    between the hands is really really helpful. Otherwise things feel
                                    really cramped. Aaron would have more insight into this as he's done a
                                    lot more of the german stuff than I have.

                                    Of course, with the blade legal, there's no reason not to put a longer
                                    hilt on it.

                                    --j
                                  • argh@cogeco.ca
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 11, 2008
                                      John is right on the hilt length, a proper German longsword of the Lichtenhauer/Ringeck (of which Meyer is a later
                                      descendent of) type has a hilt that is typically 11" long, which makes life much easier in Ochs and on the Zwerchhau.

                                      The thing that I can see is you are going to get hit along the forefinger and thumb of the leading hand of the sword
                                      alot. This is symptomatic of not holding your sword high and/or extended enough, this can also be caused be a gorget
                                      that is binding the shoulders, or lastly but not leastly actually keeping your distance. The goal is intecept your
                                      opponents sword while it is still mostly vertical, if it is allowed to fall into the lateral orientation it is finger
                                      crunching time.

                                      Needless to say I'm waiting for my pourpoint and Visby gauntlets before I do long sword sparring again. Afterall its
                                      pretty darn hard to write a thesis with a broken finger. However I've been having fun playing sword and buckler against
                                      the longsword in the meantime. If anyone has the money to drop I highly recommend the Meyer Steel longsword from
                                      Albion. =) They are very nice. The Lichtenhauer isn't bad, but it is comparatively tip heavy and you will find you
                                      get nailed in the nacht as your sword has made a quick overhand cut and it is slow to recover.

                                      Hope that helps.

                                      Aaron Miedema
                                      It takes at least two zealots to make a fire fight.