Re: Next year's KWAR

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
      I'm afraid that the KWAR 09 problem is not one that Ealdormere is in a
      position to solve. It would be nice to be able to play white knight but it's
      just not logistically possible. Would it be such a bad thing to have it take
      a year off? Perhaps it would make the following year's event that much more
      of interest to participants? And in this time of distressed economies, it
      would give everyone that much more time to prepare.

      Cainder

      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
      Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

      >From: argh@...
      >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR
      >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:44 -0500
      >
      >Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year,
      >I'll be defending in June and then moving
      >onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W,
      >Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
      >that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities
      >when I find out where I land.
      >
      >A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09
      >problem.
      >
      > > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I
      >was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
      > > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial
      >event, that was not intended.
      > >
      > > aibhilin

    • Yvonne Rogers
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
        Hi All, Throwing in my two cents,

        Having been to my first KWAR, the one in Kentucky, that was extremely
        easy to get to, I can honestly say its something everyone who enjoys
        rapier combat should attend.

        It is really great to read of the amount of enthusiasim for there to
        be a KWAR here and volunteers willing to step up. I include myself
        in that group of volunteers

        I spoke with serveral people at KWAR 2008 about past KWAR's and to
        potential response if it were to be held in Ontario. There was a lot
        positive response if it were held in a city. Apparently past KWAR's
        thta were camping events did not work.

        Things that seem to matter to those who attend, the site is easy to
        get to be either plane, train or automoblie. The event site and
        accomadations are directly attached or adjacent to each other.
        Alternate food sources and entertainment sources are readibly
        available for the evenings.

        Considering our neighbouring Kingdoms, Athelmarc, Middle and East, I
        would suspect that either Windsor, Hamilton, Toronto or Ottawa would
        be ideal cities to plan to hold a KWAR. I'm willing to search for
        sites in Toronto, if others are willing to look in the other cities.

        Also, timing is important to think about. KWAR tends to fall into the
        November time slot, so as not to interfer with
        Corinations..etc..Universities and college residences are still in
        use. It's also important to keep the American Thanksgiving in mind.

        I support a bid for 2010, the 2009 economic enviroment is neither
        suitable for our friends to the south, nor to any potential profit.

        If this is something the Ealdomere Rapier Community truly wants to
        do, we need an Autocrate to spear head the efforts. Who wants the
        job? I'm willing to do it, or even Co-Autocrate, so long as those
        who are volunteering are dedicated.

        YIS
        Jocelyne Roget de Cranewall

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
          If we do decide to try and get things off the ground I vote for Lady Jocelyn
          as Autocrat. I volunteer to be RMIC/Tourney coordinator.

          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Kelly

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
            I'm willing to be Class Coordinator, either for a KWAR or for a smaller
            event.
            --j