Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR

  • Ross Weaver
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
      As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
      Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped through
      for Dec 15.

      We would have to secure a site and cost.
      Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
      previous Known World Events of this type.
      Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
      Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
      Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
      have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy council
      is meeting.

      So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society for
      approval.

      Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do all
      this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...

      ~Wilhelm

    • Nicholas J. Corkigian
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
        Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
        been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
        about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
        of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
        Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

        -Nikolai

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
          Yep, and they just had the one for this reign. At that meeting they approved
          the latest revision of the rapier rules and I should be posting them to the
          e-rapier group and the rapier marshal's group shortly.

          Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
          been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
          about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
          of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
          Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

          -Nikolai

          > As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
          > Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped
          through
          > for Dec 15.
          >
          > We would have to secure a site and cost.
          > Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
          > previous Known World Events of this type.
          > Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
          > Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
          > Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
          > have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy
          council
          > is meeting.
          >
          > So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society
          for
          > approval.
          >
          > Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do
          all
          > this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...
          >
          > ~Wilhelm

        • David Whitford
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
            Early for 2010 would be an excellent idea
            yes thats a hint from the guy who reviews the bids
            and hates stress
            Robert

            On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@ cogeco.ca>wrote:

            > Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and
            > you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is
            > harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may
            > open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in
            > Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo
            > airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic
            > climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we
            > need to plan for the worst.
            >
            > aibhilin

          • leslie falzone
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
              Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15 is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.

              Our deadline for approval by Kingdom should be one year before the start of the event. Kingdom must approve this prior to going to Society. So We really need to give it to Kingdom several months before we have to have it approved inorder to make any changes they require.

              aibhilin

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@...>wrote:

                > Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15
                > is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.
                >
                > However that doesn't mean that we can't run a Rapier Academe style event as
                a test run for the site.

                --j

              • leslie falzone
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                  Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.

                  aibhilin

                • argh@cogeco.ca
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                    Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year, I'll be defending in June and then moving
                    onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W, Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                    that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities when I find out where I land.

                    A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09 problem.

                    > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                    > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.
                    >
                    > aibhilin

                    Aaron Miedema
                    Lente autem non celer sum.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                      I'm afraid that the KWAR 09 problem is not one that Ealdormere is in a
                      position to solve. It would be nice to be able to play white knight but it's
                      just not logistically possible. Would it be such a bad thing to have it take
                      a year off? Perhaps it would make the following year's event that much more
                      of interest to participants? And in this time of distressed economies, it
                      would give everyone that much more time to prepare.

                      Cainder

                      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                      MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                      Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                      hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                      >From: argh@...
                      >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR
                      >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:44 -0500
                      >
                      >Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year,
                      >I'll be defending in June and then moving
                      >onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W,
                      >Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                      >that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities
                      >when I find out where I land.
                      >
                      >A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09
                      >problem.
                      >
                      > > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I
                      >was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                      > > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial
                      >event, that was not intended.
                      > >
                      > > aibhilin

                    • Yvonne Rogers
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                        Hi All, Throwing in my two cents,

                        Having been to my first KWAR, the one in Kentucky, that was extremely
                        easy to get to, I can honestly say its something everyone who enjoys
                        rapier combat should attend.

                        It is really great to read of the amount of enthusiasim for there to
                        be a KWAR here and volunteers willing to step up. I include myself
                        in that group of volunteers

                        I spoke with serveral people at KWAR 2008 about past KWAR's and to
                        potential response if it were to be held in Ontario. There was a lot
                        positive response if it were held in a city. Apparently past KWAR's
                        thta were camping events did not work.

                        Things that seem to matter to those who attend, the site is easy to
                        get to be either plane, train or automoblie. The event site and
                        accomadations are directly attached or adjacent to each other.
                        Alternate food sources and entertainment sources are readibly
                        available for the evenings.

                        Considering our neighbouring Kingdoms, Athelmarc, Middle and East, I
                        would suspect that either Windsor, Hamilton, Toronto or Ottawa would
                        be ideal cities to plan to hold a KWAR. I'm willing to search for
                        sites in Toronto, if others are willing to look in the other cities.

                        Also, timing is important to think about. KWAR tends to fall into the
                        November time slot, so as not to interfer with
                        Corinations..etc..Universities and college residences are still in
                        use. It's also important to keep the American Thanksgiving in mind.

                        I support a bid for 2010, the 2009 economic enviroment is neither
                        suitable for our friends to the south, nor to any potential profit.

                        If this is something the Ealdomere Rapier Community truly wants to
                        do, we need an Autocrate to spear head the efforts. Who wants the
                        job? I'm willing to do it, or even Co-Autocrate, so long as those
                        who are volunteering are dedicated.

                        YIS
                        Jocelyne Roget de Cranewall

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                          If we do decide to try and get things off the ground I vote for Lady Jocelyn
                          as Autocrat. I volunteer to be RMIC/Tourney coordinator.

                          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Kelly

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                            I'm willing to be Class Coordinator, either for a KWAR or for a smaller
                            event.
                            --j