Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR

  • argh@cogeco.ca
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
      Well, there is little that can be done to remedy the cross border situation, but you are correct it is something that
      has to be factored into the events appeal. The security issues I speak of have to do with the use of the college
      itself.

      The bonus of the college is that it would come--potentially--with accomodations, admittedly residence accomodation, as
      well as various pub/dining facilities on site. Now all of this is academic if they college is a no go.

      The biggest issue is transport from the transport hubs, potential a chartered bus from an airport--say Ottawa, or
      Syracuse--Henry, how is the short bus doing? =) Once again, like border crossing this is something that would have to
      be factored in.

      As I said a smaller but tightly run event may work well for a stop gap. But the potential of RMC in fitting the bill,
      and potentially on a budget may certainly make this a workable idea.

      And yes there is certainly enough history in kingston to catch the interest of those from farther off. And Kingston has
      a really good pub culture to offer entertainment in that vein.

      FYI, the pub with the dragon is the brew pub.

      I'll start looking into the whys and wherefores today while I'm at the library. I'll report back when I know something.

      Aaron Miedema
      Lente autem non celer sum.
    • leslie falzone
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
        Just so you all are aware you can not hold a known world event without kingdom support.

        aibhilin.
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
          Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we need to plan for the worst.

          aibhilin
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
            As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
            Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped through
            for Dec 15.

            We would have to secure a site and cost.
            Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
            previous Known World Events of this type.
            Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
            Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
            Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
            have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy council
            is meeting.

            So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society for
            approval.

            Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do all
            this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...

            ~Wilhelm

          • Nicholas J. Corkigian
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
              Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
              been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
              about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
              of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
              Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

              -Nikolai

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                Yep, and they just had the one for this reign. At that meeting they approved
                the latest revision of the rapier rules and I should be posting them to the
                e-rapier group and the rapier marshal's group shortly.

                Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
                been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
                about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
                of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
                Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

                -Nikolai

                > As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
                > Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped
                through
                > for Dec 15.
                >
                > We would have to secure a site and cost.
                > Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
                > previous Known World Events of this type.
                > Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
                > Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
                > Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
                > have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy
                council
                > is meeting.
                >
                > So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society
                for
                > approval.
                >
                > Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do
                all
                > this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...
                >
                > ~Wilhelm

              • David Whitford
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                  Early for 2010 would be an excellent idea
                  yes thats a hint from the guy who reviews the bids
                  and hates stress
                  Robert

                  On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@ cogeco.ca>wrote:

                  > Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and
                  > you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is
                  > harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may
                  > open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in
                  > Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo
                  > airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic
                  > climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we
                  > need to plan for the worst.
                  >
                  > aibhilin

                • leslie falzone
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                    Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15 is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.

                    Our deadline for approval by Kingdom should be one year before the start of the event. Kingdom must approve this prior to going to Society. So We really need to give it to Kingdom several months before we have to have it approved inorder to make any changes they require.

                    aibhilin

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                      On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@...>wrote:

                      > Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15
                      > is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.
                      >
                      > However that doesn't mean that we can't run a Rapier Academe style event as
                      a test run for the site.

                      --j

                    • leslie falzone
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                        Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.

                        aibhilin

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                          Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year, I'll be defending in June and then moving
                          onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W, Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                          that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities when I find out where I land.

                          A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09 problem.

                          > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                          > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.
                          >
                          > aibhilin

                          Aaron Miedema
                          Lente autem non celer sum.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                            I'm afraid that the KWAR 09 problem is not one that Ealdormere is in a
                            position to solve. It would be nice to be able to play white knight but it's
                            just not logistically possible. Would it be such a bad thing to have it take
                            a year off? Perhaps it would make the following year's event that much more
                            of interest to participants? And in this time of distressed economies, it
                            would give everyone that much more time to prepare.

                            Cainder

                            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                            MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                            Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                            hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                            >From: argh@...
                            >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR
                            >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:44 -0500
                            >
                            >Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year,
                            >I'll be defending in June and then moving
                            >onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W,
                            >Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                            >that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities
                            >when I find out where I land.
                            >
                            >A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09
                            >problem.
                            >
                            > > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I
                            >was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                            > > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial
                            >event, that was not intended.
                            > >
                            > > aibhilin

                          • Yvonne Rogers
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                              Hi All, Throwing in my two cents,

                              Having been to my first KWAR, the one in Kentucky, that was extremely
                              easy to get to, I can honestly say its something everyone who enjoys
                              rapier combat should attend.

                              It is really great to read of the amount of enthusiasim for there to
                              be a KWAR here and volunteers willing to step up. I include myself
                              in that group of volunteers

                              I spoke with serveral people at KWAR 2008 about past KWAR's and to
                              potential response if it were to be held in Ontario. There was a lot
                              positive response if it were held in a city. Apparently past KWAR's
                              thta were camping events did not work.

                              Things that seem to matter to those who attend, the site is easy to
                              get to be either plane, train or automoblie. The event site and
                              accomadations are directly attached or adjacent to each other.
                              Alternate food sources and entertainment sources are readibly
                              available for the evenings.

                              Considering our neighbouring Kingdoms, Athelmarc, Middle and East, I
                              would suspect that either Windsor, Hamilton, Toronto or Ottawa would
                              be ideal cities to plan to hold a KWAR. I'm willing to search for
                              sites in Toronto, if others are willing to look in the other cities.

                              Also, timing is important to think about. KWAR tends to fall into the
                              November time slot, so as not to interfer with
                              Corinations..etc..Universities and college residences are still in
                              use. It's also important to keep the American Thanksgiving in mind.

                              I support a bid for 2010, the 2009 economic enviroment is neither
                              suitable for our friends to the south, nor to any potential profit.

                              If this is something the Ealdomere Rapier Community truly wants to
                              do, we need an Autocrate to spear head the efforts. Who wants the
                              job? I'm willing to do it, or even Co-Autocrate, so long as those
                              who are volunteering are dedicated.

                              YIS
                              Jocelyne Roget de Cranewall

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                If we do decide to try and get things off the ground I vote for Lady Jocelyn
                                as Autocrat. I volunteer to be RMIC/Tourney coordinator.

                                --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Kelly

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                  I'm willing to be Class Coordinator, either for a KWAR or for a smaller
                                  event.
                                  --j