RE: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
      To be a good Known World event you need to attract people to come
      from all over the Known World. How will they get to Kingston? Where
      will they stay?

      The last few KWARs have been based in hotels near an international
      airport. They've used the hotel ball rooms and convention spaces for
      lists and classrooms, hotel restaurants for people to eat at. In a
      good economy, a number of people will fly in to KWAR, take the hotel
      shuttle to the hotel, stay and play in the hotel for the weekend,
      then take the hotel shuttle back to the airport. Other people will
      drive in. But it's the overall lure of teachers and fencers you
      don't see regularly, because they're willing to travel for his event,
      that makes it fun and draws more people in.

      We also have to consider that many people who might usually attend a
      KWAR have no need to have a passport, and they will see flying to a
      foreign country as an extra hassle. They'll have to pay $50-$100
      bucks to get a passport, and extra money for the plane fare. Will
      they come? In the current economic climate?? I would not bet on us
      getting 200 people, can you break even at 100 people?

      At 10:40 AM 11/19/2008, argh@... wrote:
      >important to making something like this happen. Now that beng said,
      >what I'm looking at is more of a small stop gap
      >event, but tightly run.
      > The thing is I've got this big old military college here in
      kingston that to my knowledge sits mostly idle in the
      >summers.

      We haven't had an Ealdormere Rapier Academy in a long time. And
      Kingston is in a decent place to attract attendees from Aethelmearc
      and parts of the East (advertise it as just 2 hours from the Eastern
      border in their newsletter!). Try running a more local rapier
      academy, modeled after a KWAR but with less risk. We can still see
      about getting in teachers from out of area, many of them will come
      and teach if the event will pay their transportation and accommodation.

      And remember to check those kingdom calendars for conflicting
      events. You need a weekend that has no events in Ealdormere or
      Aethelmearc, and no major events in the East or Midrealm.

      Eyrny
    • Henrietta Verwey
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
        So about the passport thing, as of this summer is it for both canada and the
        US that need to get passports or only us? I think that you might see more
        people who would not normally go, like myself and my boyfriend.I can think
        of at least 3 others who i know would be a definate. how much would the
        cost of train travel be in comparrison from the airport? ok my silly
        question of the day, is there an airport in kingston?? i know its really
        close to the US border by car.
        would the RMC be interested in renting out their dorms (if they have
        any)?and use of the mess hall?? can't be as bad as ration food (minus the
        chocolate bars.).. I know there are lots of well known motels/ hotels
        too,that are close enough to the site, there could possibly be shuttles to
        and from too???

        having helped out at a CANIRON for the blacksmithing organization in
        hamilton years ago( i helped out in the gallery room) i can honestly say
        they did not get as many as an ABANA conference but they did pretty darn
        good from the canadian blacksmiths that normally don't go to far off
        countries. :) also the canadian conference does give a chance for local
        people to have an opportunity that they normally wouldn't have to
        attend. its also not too far from ottawa or toronto, its a nice in between
        site. just being the other side of the coin here. lets not drop the idea
        just because its never been done there before is all I'm saying.

        and this is all hypothetical right now but its good to get these questions
        out now and see if it is viable. i also think that kingston is a beaitful
        back drop too, especially with the water and boats. and for the spouses that
        are going that might not be interested in swords theres lots there from
        museums (ex: fort henry) to shopping to pub paruusing?? whats the name of
        that one with the dragon??

        Lady Thora V

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
          At 12:07 PM 11/19/2008, you wrote:
          >So about the passport thing, as of this summer is it for both canada and the
          >US that need to get passports or only us?

          The US is requiring a passport or other approved document to get into
          the US. I've recently been told New York has an enhanced drivers
          license that is approved, Ontario doesn't yet but an article this
          morning talked about it, and I don't know about the other US
          states. I was told it's an extra $30 to take a regular New York
          drivers license and get an enhanced one that will work at the border.

          Eyrny
        • argh@cogeco.ca
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
            Well, there is little that can be done to remedy the cross border situation, but you are correct it is something that
            has to be factored into the events appeal. The security issues I speak of have to do with the use of the college
            itself.

            The bonus of the college is that it would come--potentially--with accomodations, admittedly residence accomodation, as
            well as various pub/dining facilities on site. Now all of this is academic if they college is a no go.

            The biggest issue is transport from the transport hubs, potential a chartered bus from an airport--say Ottawa, or
            Syracuse--Henry, how is the short bus doing? =) Once again, like border crossing this is something that would have to
            be factored in.

            As I said a smaller but tightly run event may work well for a stop gap. But the potential of RMC in fitting the bill,
            and potentially on a budget may certainly make this a workable idea.

            And yes there is certainly enough history in kingston to catch the interest of those from farther off. And Kingston has
            a really good pub culture to offer entertainment in that vein.

            FYI, the pub with the dragon is the brew pub.

            I'll start looking into the whys and wherefores today while I'm at the library. I'll report back when I know something.

            Aaron Miedema
            Lente autem non celer sum.
          • leslie falzone
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
              Just so you all are aware you can not hold a known world event without kingdom support.

              aibhilin.
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we need to plan for the worst.

                aibhilin
> [...]

                > >event, but tightly run.
                > > The thing is I've got this big old military college here in
                > kingston that to my knowledge sits mostly idle in the
                > >summers.
                >
                > We haven't had an Ealdormere Rapier Academy in a long time. And
                > Kingston is in a decent place to attract attendees from Aethelmearc
                > and parts of the East (advertise it as just 2 hours from the Eastern
                > border in their newsletter!). Try running a more local rapier
                > academy, modeled after a KWAR but with less risk. We can still see
                > about getting in teachers from out of area, many of them will come
                > and teach if the event will pay their transportation and accommodation.
                >
                > And remember to check those kingdom calendars for conflicting
                > events. You need a weekend that has no events in Ealdormere or
                > Aethelmearc, and no major events in the East or Midrealm.

              • Ross Weaver
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                  As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
                  Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped through
                  for Dec 15.

                  We would have to secure a site and cost.
                  Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
                  previous Known World Events of this type.
                  Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
                  Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
                  Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
                  have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy council
                  is meeting.

                  So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society for
                  approval.

                  Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do all
                  this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...

                  ~Wilhelm

                • Nicholas J. Corkigian
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                    Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
                    been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
                    about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
                    of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
                    Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

                    -Nikolai

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                      Yep, and they just had the one for this reign. At that meeting they approved
                      the latest revision of the rapier rules and I should be posting them to the
                      e-rapier group and the rapier marshal's group shortly.

                      Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
                      been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
                      about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
                      of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
                      Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

                      -Nikolai

                      > As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
                      > Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped
                      through
                      > for Dec 15.
                      >
                      > We would have to secure a site and cost.
                      > Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
                      > previous Known World Events of this type.
                      > Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
                      > Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
                      > Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
                      > have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy
                      council
                      > is meeting.
                      >
                      > So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society
                      for
                      > approval.
                      >
                      > Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do
                      all
                      > this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...
                      >
                      > ~Wilhelm

                    • David Whitford
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                        Early for 2010 would be an excellent idea
                        yes thats a hint from the guy who reviews the bids
                        and hates stress
                        Robert

                        On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@ cogeco.ca>wrote:

                        > Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and
                        > you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is
                        > harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may
                        > open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in
                        > Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo
                        > airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic
                        > climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we
                        > need to plan for the worst.
                        >
                        > aibhilin

                      • leslie falzone
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                          Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15 is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.

                          Our deadline for approval by Kingdom should be one year before the start of the event. Kingdom must approve this prior to going to Society. So We really need to give it to Kingdom several months before we have to have it approved inorder to make any changes they require.

                          aibhilin

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                            On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@...>wrote:

                            > Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15
                            > is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.
                            >
                            > However that doesn't mean that we can't run a Rapier Academe style event as
                            a test run for the site.

                            --j

                          • leslie falzone
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                              Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.

                              aibhilin

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year, I'll be defending in June and then moving
                                onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W, Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                                that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities when I find out where I land.

                                A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09 problem.

                                > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                                > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.
                                >
                                > aibhilin

                                Aaron Miedema
                                Lente autem non celer sum.
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                  I'm afraid that the KWAR 09 problem is not one that Ealdormere is in a
                                  position to solve. It would be nice to be able to play white knight but it's
                                  just not logistically possible. Would it be such a bad thing to have it take
                                  a year off? Perhaps it would make the following year's event that much more
                                  of interest to participants? And in this time of distressed economies, it
                                  would give everyone that much more time to prepare.

                                  Cainder

                                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                                  MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                                  Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                                  hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                                  >From: argh@...
                                  >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR
                                  >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:44 -0500
                                  >
                                  >Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year,
                                  >I'll be defending in June and then moving
                                  >onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W,
                                  >Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                                  >that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities
                                  >when I find out where I land.
                                  >
                                  >A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09
                                  >problem.
                                  >
                                  > > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I
                                  >was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                                  > > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial
                                  >event, that was not intended.
                                  > >
                                  > > aibhilin

                                • Yvonne Rogers
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                    Hi All, Throwing in my two cents,

                                    Having been to my first KWAR, the one in Kentucky, that was extremely
                                    easy to get to, I can honestly say its something everyone who enjoys
                                    rapier combat should attend.

                                    It is really great to read of the amount of enthusiasim for there to
                                    be a KWAR here and volunteers willing to step up. I include myself
                                    in that group of volunteers

                                    I spoke with serveral people at KWAR 2008 about past KWAR's and to
                                    potential response if it were to be held in Ontario. There was a lot
                                    positive response if it were held in a city. Apparently past KWAR's
                                    thta were camping events did not work.

                                    Things that seem to matter to those who attend, the site is easy to
                                    get to be either plane, train or automoblie. The event site and
                                    accomadations are directly attached or adjacent to each other.
                                    Alternate food sources and entertainment sources are readibly
                                    available for the evenings.

                                    Considering our neighbouring Kingdoms, Athelmarc, Middle and East, I
                                    would suspect that either Windsor, Hamilton, Toronto or Ottawa would
                                    be ideal cities to plan to hold a KWAR. I'm willing to search for
                                    sites in Toronto, if others are willing to look in the other cities.

                                    Also, timing is important to think about. KWAR tends to fall into the
                                    November time slot, so as not to interfer with
                                    Corinations..etc..Universities and college residences are still in
                                    use. It's also important to keep the American Thanksgiving in mind.

                                    I support a bid for 2010, the 2009 economic enviroment is neither
                                    suitable for our friends to the south, nor to any potential profit.

                                    If this is something the Ealdomere Rapier Community truly wants to
                                    do, we need an Autocrate to spear head the efforts. Who wants the
                                    job? I'm willing to do it, or even Co-Autocrate, so long as those
                                    who are volunteering are dedicated.

                                    YIS
                                    Jocelyne Roget de Cranewall

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                      If we do decide to try and get things off the ground I vote for Lady Jocelyn
                                      as Autocrat. I volunteer to be RMIC/Tourney coordinator.

                                      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Kelly

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                        I'm willing to be Class Coordinator, either for a KWAR or for a smaller
                                        event.
                                        --j