RE: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 18, 2008
      I've been in discussions with some folks about going for 2010, but I think
      2009 would be a bit too early.

      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 18, 2008
        Is there any official information on expectations and requirements for a KWAR? I might need something to keep me amused
        as I wait for the defense of the Thesis in the spring/summer.

        Archibald

        > I've been in discussions with some folks about going for 2010, but I think
        > 2009 would be a bit too early.
        >

        > Albrecht
        >

        > _____

        Aaron Miedema
        Lente autem non celer sum.
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
          Things are at a very, very early stage right now. I don't have any specific
          requirements for KWAR right now, but for Known World level events in general
          the policies can be found here:

          http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/kweventpolicy.pdf

          Some positions that would need to be filled are:

          Autocrat

          Reservations clerk

          Fencing Marshall/tourney coordinator

          Class coordinator

          Web minister, we need someone to update the site often

          I've tentatively offered to be RMIC/Tourney coordinator for the event.
          Again, this is very early days and, as can be seen from the policies we need
          to have support at the Kingdom level. We need to have a site for the event,
          etc., etc. We need to have a really solid bid. There may not be a KWAR in
          2009 as no bids have been put in for it, but I would still much prefer 2010
          as that would give us a good amount of time to get things done properly,
          especially for bringing in teachers from the SCA and WMA communities who
          often plan their schedules up to a year in advance.

          Any suggestions from the rapier community would be welcome. Some ideas have
          been bounced around between myself and Baroness Aibhilin (who has run KW
          level events) but again, early days (have I said that enough yet?).

          Is there any official information on expectations and requirements for a
          KWAR? I might need something to keep me amused
          as I wait for the defense of the Thesis in the spring/summer.

          Archibald

          > I've been in discussions with some folks about going for 2010, but I think
          > 2009 would be a bit too early.
          >

          > Albrecht
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
          > According to a notice posted on the Known World Rapier Marshals list
          > earlier today, there are currently *no* bids in hand for next year's
          > Known World Academy of the Rapier. The Society Rapier Marshal has
          > said that if he has not received any bids by December 15th, there
          > won't be a KWAR next year.
          >
          > So... if your kingdom has been talking about hosting a KWAR, now is
          > the time to step forward.
          >
          > -Tivar Moondragon
          > Ansteorra

          Aaron Miedema
          Lente autem non celer sum.

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
            I'd be happy to volunteer to be reservations clerk. :-)

            Scheduling that far ahead, I'm sure I can pencil it in.

            Cainder

            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
            MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
            Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
            hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

          • Anna B
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
              I'd love to see a 'local' K-War, meaning I'd actually be able to attend, so if you need extra bodies, do colour me there.

              Rusalka

              Is there any official information on expectations and requirements for a
              KWAR? I might need something to keep me amused
              as I wait for the defense of the Thesis in the spring/summer.

              Archibald

              > I've been in discussions with some folks about going for 2010, but I think
              > 2009 would be a bit too early.
              >

              > Albrecht
              >

              > _____
              >
              > From: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
              <mailto:dontivar% 40gmail.com> com> com>

              Aaron Miedema
              Lente autem non celer sum.

            • argh@cogeco.ca
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                Well, after a first glance, the event looks fairly straight forward 150-200 people isn't overly intimidating. But yes,
                given the conference / convention nature of it space is the big question, and for that yes, kingdom support is likely
                important to making something like this happen. Now that beng said, what I'm looking at is more of a small stop gap
                event, but tightly run. Now that being said if someone has a crackerjack idea for sometime in the future that this
                would scuttle speak up and I'll back down. I'm just musing aloud at this point.

                The thing is I've got this big old military college here in kingston that to my knowledge sits mostly idle in the
                summers. Now I'll ask a question of two this week and see if there is a workable idea. I think in such a case the
                issue would more of post 911 security minutiae thing than money, but this might be less of an issue for something like
                this.

                If people want to ponder for the next couple days and see if this possibility sits well sith everyone, I'll make some
                inquiries here and abroad to see if this works.

                Aaron Miedema
                Lente autem non celer sum.
              • Henrietta Verwey
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                  The RMC sounds like a great place for it, they have the gym area and don't
                  they have drill space indoor and out??. hopefully they like the idea too.
                  it'd be a great venue. so how many autocrats are you asking for? the more
                  the merrier and less work on one person? this could be possibly a cool event
                  to also have youth (boffer/rapier) classes too???

                  and NO I am not volunteering arron, i live in ottawa remember?? just a bit
                  too far for running errands after work for it, sorry, maybe next time. but i
                  will definately go if its this close.
                  so you supply the space and get several local people to help organize it and
                  they will come. you know ,getting discounts at a local cheap motel/ hotel
                  or camping sites?people for gate/clean up etc etc.. then call the ottawa
                  branch of AMA and see if they are interested in doing a class,there are a
                  few other groups our way too. i could be presuaded to do some local phone
                  calls for you if you wanted so the long distance thing isn't a pain. what
                  about barry??? hehe...oh ya not rapier but does it only have to be rapier??
                  long sword is fun too??oh and did you get that book done yet????kick...
                  well theres my rant for it.

                  hope its not on a weekend that i'm doing a demo though.\

                  Lady Thora V

                  On 11/19/08, argh@... <argh@...> wrote:

                  > Well, after a first glance, the event looks fairly straight forward
                  > 150-200 people isn't overly intimidating. But yes,
                  > given the conference / convention nature of it space is the big question,
                  > and for that yes, kingdom support is likely
                  > important to making something like this happen. Now that beng said, what
                  > I'm looking at is more of a small stop gap
                  > event, but tightly run. Now that being said if someone has a crackerjack
                  > idea for sometime in the future that this
                  > would scuttle speak up and I'll back down. I'm just musing aloud at this
                  > point.
                  >
                  > The thing is I've got this big old military college here in kingston that
                  > to my knowledge sits mostly idle in the
                  > summers. Now I'll ask a question of two this week and see if there is a
                  > workable idea. I think in such a case the
                  > issue would more of post 911 security minutiae thing than money, but this
                  > might be less of an issue for something like
                  > this.
                  >
                  > If people want to ponder for the next couple days and see if this
                  > possibility sits well sith everyone, I'll make some
                  > inquiries here and abroad to see if this works.
                  >
                  > Aaron Miedema
                  > Lente autem non celer sum.

                • David Whitford
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                    Almost any hisyorical classes are welcome. This past KWAR there longsword and quarterstaff classes. Be sure to look for recognized instructors from out of kingdom.
                    I have sent Arron some basic info on site needs and I'm sure as his plan forms he'll be asking folks to fill spots and not all of them need to be locals.
                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                      To be a good Known World event you need to attract people to come
                      from all over the Known World. How will they get to Kingston? Where
                      will they stay?

                      The last few KWARs have been based in hotels near an international
                      airport. They've used the hotel ball rooms and convention spaces for
                      lists and classrooms, hotel restaurants for people to eat at. In a
                      good economy, a number of people will fly in to KWAR, take the hotel
                      shuttle to the hotel, stay and play in the hotel for the weekend,
                      then take the hotel shuttle back to the airport. Other people will
                      drive in. But it's the overall lure of teachers and fencers you
                      don't see regularly, because they're willing to travel for his event,
                      that makes it fun and draws more people in.

                      We also have to consider that many people who might usually attend a
                      KWAR have no need to have a passport, and they will see flying to a
                      foreign country as an extra hassle. They'll have to pay $50-$100
                      bucks to get a passport, and extra money for the plane fare. Will
                      they come? In the current economic climate?? I would not bet on us
                      getting 200 people, can you break even at 100 people?

                      At 10:40 AM 11/19/2008, argh@... wrote:
                      >important to making something like this happen. Now that beng said,
                      >what I'm looking at is more of a small stop gap
                      >event, but tightly run.
                      > The thing is I've got this big old military college here in
                      kingston that to my knowledge sits mostly idle in the
                      >summers.

                      We haven't had an Ealdormere Rapier Academy in a long time. And
                      Kingston is in a decent place to attract attendees from Aethelmearc
                      and parts of the East (advertise it as just 2 hours from the Eastern
                      border in their newsletter!). Try running a more local rapier
                      academy, modeled after a KWAR but with less risk. We can still see
                      about getting in teachers from out of area, many of them will come
                      and teach if the event will pay their transportation and accommodation.

                      And remember to check those kingdom calendars for conflicting
                      events. You need a weekend that has no events in Ealdormere or
                      Aethelmearc, and no major events in the East or Midrealm.

                      Eyrny
                    • Henrietta Verwey
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                        So about the passport thing, as of this summer is it for both canada and the
                        US that need to get passports or only us? I think that you might see more
                        people who would not normally go, like myself and my boyfriend.I can think
                        of at least 3 others who i know would be a definate. how much would the
                        cost of train travel be in comparrison from the airport? ok my silly
                        question of the day, is there an airport in kingston?? i know its really
                        close to the US border by car.
                        would the RMC be interested in renting out their dorms (if they have
                        any)?and use of the mess hall?? can't be as bad as ration food (minus the
                        chocolate bars.).. I know there are lots of well known motels/ hotels
                        too,that are close enough to the site, there could possibly be shuttles to
                        and from too???

                        having helped out at a CANIRON for the blacksmithing organization in
                        hamilton years ago( i helped out in the gallery room) i can honestly say
                        they did not get as many as an ABANA conference but they did pretty darn
                        good from the canadian blacksmiths that normally don't go to far off
                        countries. :) also the canadian conference does give a chance for local
                        people to have an opportunity that they normally wouldn't have to
                        attend. its also not too far from ottawa or toronto, its a nice in between
                        site. just being the other side of the coin here. lets not drop the idea
                        just because its never been done there before is all I'm saying.

                        and this is all hypothetical right now but its good to get these questions
                        out now and see if it is viable. i also think that kingston is a beaitful
                        back drop too, especially with the water and boats. and for the spouses that
                        are going that might not be interested in swords theres lots there from
                        museums (ex: fort henry) to shopping to pub paruusing?? whats the name of
                        that one with the dragon??

                        Lady Thora V

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                          At 12:07 PM 11/19/2008, you wrote:
                          >So about the passport thing, as of this summer is it for both canada and the
                          >US that need to get passports or only us?

                          The US is requiring a passport or other approved document to get into
                          the US. I've recently been told New York has an enhanced drivers
                          license that is approved, Ontario doesn't yet but an article this
                          morning talked about it, and I don't know about the other US
                          states. I was told it's an extra $30 to take a regular New York
                          drivers license and get an enhanced one that will work at the border.

                          Eyrny
                        • argh@cogeco.ca
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                            Well, there is little that can be done to remedy the cross border situation, but you are correct it is something that
                            has to be factored into the events appeal. The security issues I speak of have to do with the use of the college
                            itself.

                            The bonus of the college is that it would come--potentially--with accomodations, admittedly residence accomodation, as
                            well as various pub/dining facilities on site. Now all of this is academic if they college is a no go.

                            The biggest issue is transport from the transport hubs, potential a chartered bus from an airport--say Ottawa, or
                            Syracuse--Henry, how is the short bus doing? =) Once again, like border crossing this is something that would have to
                            be factored in.

                            As I said a smaller but tightly run event may work well for a stop gap. But the potential of RMC in fitting the bill,
                            and potentially on a budget may certainly make this a workable idea.

                            And yes there is certainly enough history in kingston to catch the interest of those from farther off. And Kingston has
                            a really good pub culture to offer entertainment in that vein.

                            FYI, the pub with the dragon is the brew pub.

                            I'll start looking into the whys and wherefores today while I'm at the library. I'll report back when I know something.

                            Aaron Miedema
                            Lente autem non celer sum.
                          • leslie falzone
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                              Just so you all are aware you can not hold a known world event without kingdom support.

                              aibhilin.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                                Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we need to plan for the worst.

                                aibhilin
> [...]

                                > >event, but tightly run.
                                > > The thing is I've got this big old military college here in
                                > kingston that to my knowledge sits mostly idle in the
                                > >summers.
                                >
                                > We haven't had an Ealdormere Rapier Academy in a long time. And
                                > Kingston is in a decent place to attract attendees from Aethelmearc
                                > and parts of the East (advertise it as just 2 hours from the Eastern
                                > border in their newsletter!). Try running a more local rapier
                                > academy, modeled after a KWAR but with less risk. We can still see
                                > about getting in teachers from out of area, many of them will come
                                > and teach if the event will pay their transportation and accommodation.
                                >
                                > And remember to check those kingdom calendars for conflicting
                                > events. You need a weekend that has no events in Ealdormere or
                                > Aethelmearc, and no major events in the East or Midrealm.

                              • Ross Weaver
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                                  As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
                                  Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped through
                                  for Dec 15.

                                  We would have to secure a site and cost.
                                  Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
                                  previous Known World Events of this type.
                                  Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
                                  Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
                                  Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
                                  have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy council
                                  is meeting.

                                  So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society for
                                  approval.

                                  Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do all
                                  this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...

                                  ~Wilhelm

                                • Nicholas J. Corkigian
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                                    Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
                                    been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
                                    about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
                                    of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
                                    Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

                                    -Nikolai

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                                      Yep, and they just had the one for this reign. At that meeting they approved
                                      the latest revision of the rapier rules and I should be posting them to the
                                      e-rapier group and the rapier marshal's group shortly.

                                      Yes. Having been in the loop for this last idea, I've pretty much
                                      been told by various sources that a Known World Event really needs
                                      about a year of planning (or more!) to get all the hoops taken care
                                      of. Attaching "Known World" to the name requires approval of Privy
                                      Council, and they are only required to meet once a reign.

                                      -Nikolai

                                      > As a member of the planning crew for the last Known World Event idea for
                                      > Ealdormere I know it would be very hard to get all the hoops jumped
                                      through
                                      > for Dec 15.
                                      >
                                      > We would have to secure a site and cost.
                                      > Set a budget and fees. Including attendance estimates and references to
                                      > previous Known World Events of this type.
                                      > Fill out the staff, including a dedicated Exchequer.
                                      > Find a supporting group to foot the bill.
                                      > Get approval from the Kingdom's Privy Council, meaning they would have to
                                      > have the above done for their review, at an event at which the privy
                                      council
                                      > is meeting.
                                      >
                                      > So all that has to be done in 3.5 weeks, so we can submit it to society
                                      for
                                      > approval.
                                      >
                                      > Not to say it can't be done, but I doubt it. Now it wouldn't hurt to do
                                      all
                                      > this for 2010 now, and get the 2010 bid in early...
                                      >
                                      > ~Wilhelm

                                    • David Whitford
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 19, 2008
                                        Early for 2010 would be an excellent idea
                                        yes thats a hint from the guy who reviews the bids
                                        and hates stress
                                        Robert

                                        On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@ cogeco.ca>wrote:

                                        > Amercian's have to have a passport to get into their own country, and
                                        > you absolutely have to have one to fly in and out of the US. Summer is
                                        > harder, lots of other events, Univeristies summers start in May. That may
                                        > open up some possibilities. If we are looking at an international airport in
                                        > Ontario, we have Ottawa area, Toronto area or Niagara Area (buffalo
                                        > airport). We really need to plan for breaking even at about 80. the ecomonic
                                        > climate is scary right now and we do not know how it will be in 2010, so we
                                        > need to plan for the worst.
                                        >
                                        > aibhilin

                                      • leslie falzone
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                          Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15 is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.

                                          Our deadline for approval by Kingdom should be one year before the start of the event. Kingdom must approve this prior to going to Society. So We really need to give it to Kingdom several months before we have to have it approved inorder to make any changes they require.

                                          aibhilin

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                            On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:03 AM, leslie falzone <leslie.falzone@...>wrote:

                                            > Have successfully run three Known World event, I know he is correct, Dec 15
                                            > is not possible and will just lead to disappointment.
                                            >
                                            > However that doesn't mean that we can't run a Rapier Academe style event as
                                            a test run for the site.

                                            --j

                                          • leslie falzone
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                              Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.

                                              aibhilin

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                                Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year, I'll be defending in June and then moving
                                                onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W, Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                                                that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities when I find out where I land.

                                                A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09 problem.

                                                > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                                                > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial event, that was not intended.
                                                >
                                                > aibhilin

                                                Aaron Miedema
                                                Lente autem non celer sum.
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 20, 2008
                                                  I'm afraid that the KWAR 09 problem is not one that Ealdormere is in a
                                                  position to solve. It would be nice to be able to play white knight but it's
                                                  just not logistically possible. Would it be such a bad thing to have it take
                                                  a year off? Perhaps it would make the following year's event that much more
                                                  of interest to participants? And in this time of distressed economies, it
                                                  would give everyone that much more time to prepare.

                                                  Cainder

                                                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                                                  MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                                                  Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                                                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                                                  hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                                                  >From: argh@...
                                                  >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Fw: [RN] Next year's KWAR
                                                  >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:46:44 -0500
                                                  >
                                                  >Unfortunately this is not one of those things that we cannot use next year,
                                                  >I'll be defending in June and then moving
                                                  >onto another institution for my doctorate (could be Kingston, Toronto, K-W,
                                                  >Calgary, or even Oxford or Birmingham for
                                                  >that matter), but I can certainly check out those digs for possibilities
                                                  >when I find out where I land.
                                                  >
                                                  >A more localized event could work, but it doesn't solve the KWAR 09
                                                  >problem.
                                                  >
                                                  > > Of course not, testing out the site is a good idea, but I believe that I
                                                  >was referring to the Dec. 15 deadline for
                                                  > > Known World. I am sorry if you saw this as me saying don't run a trial
                                                  >event, that was not intended.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > aibhilin

                                                • Yvonne Rogers
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                                    Hi All, Throwing in my two cents,

                                                    Having been to my first KWAR, the one in Kentucky, that was extremely
                                                    easy to get to, I can honestly say its something everyone who enjoys
                                                    rapier combat should attend.

                                                    It is really great to read of the amount of enthusiasim for there to
                                                    be a KWAR here and volunteers willing to step up. I include myself
                                                    in that group of volunteers

                                                    I spoke with serveral people at KWAR 2008 about past KWAR's and to
                                                    potential response if it were to be held in Ontario. There was a lot
                                                    positive response if it were held in a city. Apparently past KWAR's
                                                    thta were camping events did not work.

                                                    Things that seem to matter to those who attend, the site is easy to
                                                    get to be either plane, train or automoblie. The event site and
                                                    accomadations are directly attached or adjacent to each other.
                                                    Alternate food sources and entertainment sources are readibly
                                                    available for the evenings.

                                                    Considering our neighbouring Kingdoms, Athelmarc, Middle and East, I
                                                    would suspect that either Windsor, Hamilton, Toronto or Ottawa would
                                                    be ideal cities to plan to hold a KWAR. I'm willing to search for
                                                    sites in Toronto, if others are willing to look in the other cities.

                                                    Also, timing is important to think about. KWAR tends to fall into the
                                                    November time slot, so as not to interfer with
                                                    Corinations..etc..Universities and college residences are still in
                                                    use. It's also important to keep the American Thanksgiving in mind.

                                                    I support a bid for 2010, the 2009 economic enviroment is neither
                                                    suitable for our friends to the south, nor to any potential profit.

                                                    If this is something the Ealdomere Rapier Community truly wants to
                                                    do, we need an Autocrate to spear head the efforts. Who wants the
                                                    job? I'm willing to do it, or even Co-Autocrate, so long as those
                                                    who are volunteering are dedicated.

                                                    YIS
                                                    Jocelyne Roget de Cranewall

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                                      If we do decide to try and get things off the ground I vote for Lady Jocelyn
                                                      as Autocrat. I volunteer to be RMIC/Tourney coordinator.

                                                      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, "Kelly

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 23, 2008
                                                        I'm willing to be Class Coordinator, either for a KWAR or for a smaller
                                                        event.
                                                        --j