Blades / Clancy Day

  • Gerrard
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 9, 2007
      Gerrard:
      At practice two weeks ago one of my " Heavily used " 6 plus year old oval " Solengen " blade failed at the hilt nice and square. ( safely !! )
      Last week a Tripplette diamond broke at the tang . ( safely )
      Both blades were brought to to KRM at Trinovantia fencing practice.
      ** We suspect that these failures may be due to the hilts ( Tripplet Clamshells ) that are not properly supporting the tang within the handles . **

      Clancy Day:
      A very long double wide ( manufacturer unknown ) blade broke about two inches from the blunt. It broke square. However the thin diamond profile that was exposed was.... well it made me glad I was wearing my heavier amour.( not so safely )
      Second blade (Standard Diamond ) ( unknown manufacturer ) broke square at the hilt. ( Wire hilt ). ( safely )

      Interesting Stuff : They take draw cuts but not push cuts. Most seemed to play with " long swords ". ( Even the ones that are 6 ft 4 inches tall and already have long reach )
      It snowed ( apparently this is now a Clancy Day curse ( last 5 years ) )
      Adelle and Evellen " surprised " them. ( Never underestimate an opponent )
      They play very " Period ". If you loose your arm they do not take theirs. ( Buckler / dagger ... whatever )
      I did reasonably well.. There was a Male fencer in black ( wish I had gotten his name ) wearing a " Peerage Belt "
      Very Very good Very honorable.

    • argh@cogeco.ca
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10, 2007
        I can for the time remaining that I am a student acquire--albeit sureptitiously any of the english manuals in pdf
        format.

        Aaron

        > Another source but thelink evades my memory right now
        > is William Wilsons stuff for Tattershall
        > Robert
        > --- John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On 4/10/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > The only thing that's clear is that I need to do
        > > some reading on Silver and
        > > > Saviolo...and then catch up with you again. Any
        > > suggestions? Links? Here's
        > > > what I've found on these two...I'd prefer to get
        > > as pure copies as possible.
        > > > I like to translate myself. I understand Silver's
        > > manuals are already in
        > > > English (well, antiquated but readable) however I
        > > must ask if Saviolo's
        > > > manuals were done in Italian or English? Are there
        > > any other places you can
        > > > suggest for me to look?
        > >
        > > Saviolo was done in English. The transcriptions you
        > > have found are the
        > > most easily accessable but you can also find
        > > reproductions of both.
        > >

        > http://www.amazon.com/Elizabethan-Fencing-Manuals-Giacomo-Grassi/dp/0820111074
        > > contains Digrassi, Saviolo and Silver.
        > >
        > > It's worth it if you want to read the originals.
        > >
        > > Chivalry Bookshelf has an interpretation of Silver
        > > done by Steven Hand
        > > that includes a trascription. It's not bad, but read
        > > the original
        > > before you take Hand's word as gospel .
        > >
        > > Likewise, a friend of mine is working on an
        > > interpretation of Saviolo
        > > for CB but I don't know when it is expected to be
        > > finished. If you are
        > > interested, I can put you in touch with him.
        > >
        > > --j

        > Need Mail bonding?

        Aaron Miedema
        Lente autem non celer sum.