Re: [E_Rapier] A question for the collected rapier wisdom of the kingdom

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
      > Does anyone know how the Alchem safeflex boradsword plays? I know their
      > safeflex daggers are incredibly whippy, is the same true of their swords? I
      > have also had recommended to me the Alchem flat tang blade for cut and
      > thrust (though it is not listed as approved for cut and thrust as of 2006,
      > hence my wondering if there is an updated list somewhere) does anyone have
      > any comments to offer on those blades?

      It's a little confusing as the official blade list shows flat and rod
      tang "safe-flex" blades which Alchem does not sell.
      The broadsword is just like the dagger, only bigger and made of
      slightly thicker steel. It is about as whippy as the dagger is becuase
      it's just sheet metal. There is no wiggle room for parrys that are not
      on the edge. If you are coming to feast of the Hare, I can bring mine
      and you can take a look at it.

      You get what you pay for. If you want the cheapest thing you can
      find, get the safeflex. If the Alchem "schlagers" are approved, they
      are not bad for what you pay. If you can afford it though, you might
      want to go with one of the more sword like blades such as Darkwood.

      --j
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
        Yes, there is a new blade list in the works but I'm not sure when it's
        coming out, so I can't say anything official yet. I'm not a big fan of the
        Alchem blades. I own one of their daggers, I love the hilt, but I'll always
        pull out my Zen Warrior T03 first as it looks so much better and gives me a
        much better parry on the edge or the flat. I don't have any experience with
        their longer blades but they look pretty ugly. There have also been failures
        with the dagger blades with them shearing off near the base, but I don't
        know if this applies to the longer blades. If I had the money I'd go with
        Darkwood or Marco-Krieger (which is no longer producing blades
        unfortunately). If I really wanted something nice I'd go with Angus Trim:

        http://www.wmasupply.com/

        But I'd really have to have a healthy pocket book to do that.

        I am planning on purchasing a new rapier, preferably one that will work for
        cut and thrust fencing. I am planning to purchase from Alchem and wanted to
        see if I could tap the collective wisdom of Ealdormere's fencers. First,
        does anyone know if there is a new list of approved blades available? The
        one of the sca.org site is from 2006, have we simply not approved any new
        blade types since then?
        Does anyone know how the Alchem safeflex boradsword plays? I know their
        safeflex daggers are incredibly whippy, is the same true of their swords? I
        have also had recommended to me the Alchem flat tang blade for cut and
        thrust (though it is not listed as approved for cut and thrust as of 2006,
        hence my wondering if there is an updated list somewhere) does anyone have
        any comments to offer on those blades?

        Many thanks for your help,

        Allan Meyrick (Gwyndaf Garbutt)

      • Gwyndaf Garbutt
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
          Thank you everyone for your advice. it has been quite helpful. I shall
          look forward to crossing blades with you in the future. Hopefully by then I
          will have a new blade to try out too.
          thanks again

          Allan Meyrick