A question for the collected rapier wisdom of the kingdom

  • Gwyndaf Garbutt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
      Greetings all,

      I am planning on purchasing a new rapier, preferably one that will work for
      cut and thrust fencing. I am planning to purchase from Alchem and wanted to
      see if I could tap the collective wisdom of Ealdormere's fencers. First,
      does anyone know if there is a new list of approved blades available? The
      one of the sca.org site is from 2006, have we simply not approved any new
      blade types since then?
      Does anyone know how the Alchem safeflex boradsword plays? I know their
      safeflex daggers are incredibly whippy, is the same true of their swords? I
      have also had recommended to me the Alchem flat tang blade for cut and
      thrust (though it is not listed as approved for cut and thrust as of 2006,
      hence my wondering if there is an updated list somewhere) does anyone have
      any comments to offer on those blades?

      Many thanks for your help,

      Allan Meyrick (Gwyndaf Garbutt)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
        It's my understanding (gleaned from the vicarious air waves around my DH,
        the prev. KRM) that the Society Rapier Marshal is currently close to finish
        on a revised blade list. I'm sure he and the shiny new KRM will pipe up
        with suggestions for you regarding blades for C&T.

        Cainder
        Who occasionally plays rapier but not C&T

        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
        Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
          > Does anyone know how the Alchem safeflex boradsword plays? I know their
          > safeflex daggers are incredibly whippy, is the same true of their swords? I
          > have also had recommended to me the Alchem flat tang blade for cut and
          > thrust (though it is not listed as approved for cut and thrust as of 2006,
          > hence my wondering if there is an updated list somewhere) does anyone have
          > any comments to offer on those blades?

          It's a little confusing as the official blade list shows flat and rod
          tang "safe-flex" blades which Alchem does not sell.
          The broadsword is just like the dagger, only bigger and made of
          slightly thicker steel. It is about as whippy as the dagger is becuase
          it's just sheet metal. There is no wiggle room for parrys that are not
          on the edge. If you are coming to feast of the Hare, I can bring mine
          and you can take a look at it.

          You get what you pay for. If you want the cheapest thing you can
          find, get the safeflex. If the Alchem "schlagers" are approved, they
          are not bad for what you pay. If you can afford it though, you might
          want to go with one of the more sword like blades such as Darkwood.

          --j
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
            Yes, there is a new blade list in the works but I'm not sure when it's
            coming out, so I can't say anything official yet. I'm not a big fan of the
            Alchem blades. I own one of their daggers, I love the hilt, but I'll always
            pull out my Zen Warrior T03 first as it looks so much better and gives me a
            much better parry on the edge or the flat. I don't have any experience with
            their longer blades but they look pretty ugly. There have also been failures
            with the dagger blades with them shearing off near the base, but I don't
            know if this applies to the longer blades. If I had the money I'd go with
            Darkwood or Marco-Krieger (which is no longer producing blades
            unfortunately). If I really wanted something nice I'd go with Angus Trim:

            http://www.wmasupply.com/

            But I'd really have to have a healthy pocket book to do that.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
              Thank you everyone for your advice. it has been quite helpful. I shall
              look forward to crossing blades with you in the future. Hopefully by then I
              will have a new blade to try out too.
              thanks again

              Allan Meyrick