Re: [E_Rapier] Re: ealdormere-rapier Rules Version 4

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
      The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
      fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a fencer
      with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.

      I believe that it's been determined that it's ultimately up to the MiC to
      make that decision.

      I agree that blade length alone is not enough reason to yield a fight. In my
      opinion it's certainly not enough to grant anything other than a loss. On
      it's own, that is.

      I'm sorry if I got things muddled. I still choose to reserve my right to not
      voice my reasons for yielding if it's anything other than a safety issue.
      What is silliness to you may not be at all to someone else. A gentleman
      shouldn't make assumptions.

      Cainder

      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
      Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
      hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
        On 4/5/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...> wrote:
        > The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
        > fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a fencer
        > with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.
        >
        > I believe that it's been determined that it's ultimately up to the MiC to
        > make that decision.

        What would be a reason to allow someone to yield a bout without
        loosing and still allow their opponent to continue in the tournament?

        --j
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
          >From: "John Enzinas" <jenzinas@...>
          >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Re: ealdormere-rapier Rules Version 4
          >Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:37:04 -0400
          >
          >On 4/5/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...> wrote:
          > > The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
          > > fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a
          >fencer
          > > with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.
          > >
          > > I believe that it's been determined that it's ultimately up to the MiC
          > > make that decision.
          >
          >What would be a reason to allow someone to yield a bout without
          >loosing and still allow their opponent to continue in the tournament?
          >
          >--j

          Honestly, I can't think of ANY reason that fits those parameters. I will let
          it roll around a bit and see if I can think of something.

          Cainder
        • Nicholas J. Corkigian
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
            Is it just a matter of boycotting longer blades out of a personal
            preference (or displeasure)? If so, then I would say that's a personal
            choice to make that has no bearing on the actual rules. The penalties
            should go with it. In this case, it's a choice to not fence an
            opponent, therefore it's a choice to take the loss.

            -Nikolai

            --
            -Nicholas J. Corkigian

            "Sacred cows make the best burgers"
            -Robert Kriegel

            This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
            only for the individual or entity named in the message. If the reader
            of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
            to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
            any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
            is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please
            notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
            the original message.
          • Ross Weaver
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
              On 4/5/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...> wrote:

              > The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
              > fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a
              > fencer
              > with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.

              Yeilding to an opponent is to give them the win. If my opponent legs me
              and I choose to yeild rather than fight from my knees I'm offering them the
              win, rather than to keep fighting. It does not matter why you yeild,
              choosing to yeild is choosing to lose.

              To refuse to fence some due to safety is a different issue. If someone is
              unsafe they should be removed from the field. If equipment is unsafe it
              should be removed from the field. But that is obviously not the question
              here.

              ~Wilhelm