Cappo Ferro at AEMMA details

  • Aaron Gormanshaw
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27, 2008
      Okay, here are the details I have found.

      Hoskuld

      Rapier training will be in the style of Cappo Ferro.
      Training is $70/month. Classes will be held Wednesday nights from 9:00 to 10:30, with the first class held on be Oct 15.
      Any and all levels will be in the same class.
      Rapiers are not provided, people will require their own masks and gloves/gauntlets.
      Appropriate rapiers can be found at http://www.kerrarmourers.com/AEMMA_Rapiers.html
      Cup is recommended.  Jacket is optional.  The rapiers are fitted with arrow blunts so it's relatively safe.
      Minimum 16 years old with parental consent.
      Classes are for anyone interested in rapier, experience is not necessary,

      Location of the salle d'armes: http://www.aemma.org/location.htm

      regards,
      David M. Cvet
      AEMMA

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
        $70 a month! For only one class a week?

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
          At 08:39 AM 9/28/2008, you wrote:
          >$70 a month! For only one class a week?

          Try signing up for any class where the teacher is being paid and some
          amount of the rent for the space. The rate is pretty reasonable in
          my opinion, I was surprised it was that low.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
            Hmmm ... Any chance of him creating a teaching video ( DVD 's ) for us southern Eldormerians??

            Plus may make it more financially attractive ...?

            $ 70 is cheap ...most classes down this way are $$$ for a basic yoga class meeting only once a week for about an hour. That's at the senior discount ( Gerrard who is almost eligible ... ;- ) )

            Try signing up for any class where the teacher is being paid and some
            amount of the rent for the space. The rate is pretty reasonable in
            my opinion, I was surprised it was that low.

          • Bob Roberts
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
              Most martial arts charge about 600 to 800 a year for two classes a
              week. That is including both the fees for the instructor and a portion
              for the renting of a training space. So in my opinion, it is a bit
              steep. But perhaps it may also be due geographic location. Toronto is
              an expensive city after all.

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 28, 2008
                We're paying $100/month for our son to go to karate 3 classes a week.
                However the chief instructor is a 9th dan black belt who handles a lot of
                the teaching personally, so we feel we're getting our money's worth. Not to
                mention the convenience (across the street). Much cheaper and safer than
                hockey.

                Asa (Albrecht's wife)

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                  WEll.. that takes me out..I have belly dance classes on Wednesdays

                  Jocelyne

                  --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Gormanshaw <agormanshaw@...>

                  ------------------------------------

                  ------------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                    Your teaching your belly to dance ...
                    My oh my !!
                    So what about the other parts?? Won't they get jealous??

                    ------------------------------------

                    ------------------------------------

                  • David Whitford
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                      wow-swagger and belly dancing...the mind boggles
                      Robert

                      ------------ --------- --------- ------

                      ------------ --------- --------- ------

                    • argh@cogeco.ca
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2008
                        > WEll.. that takes me out..I have belly dance classes on Wednesdays
                        >
                        > Jocelyne

                        Not to worry I was suppose to be teaching you Giganti anyway.

                        =)

                        Aaron Miedema
                        Lente autem non celer sum.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 30, 2008
                          At 08:32 AM 9/30/2008, you wrote:
                          > > WEll.. that takes me out..I have belly dance classes on Wednesdays
                          > >
                          > > Jocelyne

                          You can't move belly dancing?

                          Eyrny
                        • Anna B
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 30, 2008
                            Were those private lessons or can anyone sign up?...

                            Rusalka, who's given up on belly dancing, but still has hopes for Giganti

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 30, 2008
                              > Were those private lessons or can anyone sign up?...

                              I'll run private classes or public lessons, if people can arrange the space I'm more than willing to pontificate about
                              swords. =)

                              > Rusalka, who's given up on belly dancing, but still has > hopes for Giganti

                              Well I did go to FOOL2 to teach Giganti and get a finger mashed because you asked me to.... But who didn't bother
                              showing up? Hmmmm?

                              =)

                              I need to come to Toronto in the nearish futrue anyway, simply because I've promised so many people for so long that I
                              would. I can make the rounds of the rapier practices a do a little teaching too. How does that sound? Or are you
                              going to finhd yourself conveniently out of town?

                              =)

                              Hopefully--fingers crossed--my time in the archives is nearing an end so another three weeks and I won't have to be tied
                              to Ottawa so much, Maybe something in November perhaps???

                              Aaron Miedema
                              Lente autem non celer sum.
                            • Anna B
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 30, 2008
                                > Were those private lessons or can anyone sign up?...

                                I'll run private classes or public lessons, if people can arrange the space I'm more than willing to pontificate about
                                swords. =)

                                Well, we have plenty of space on Thursdays - to fence, or otherwise chat.  And if you can give us a heads up in advance, we might even be able to come up with the usual two or three fencers :)

                                > Rusalka, who's given up on belly dancing, but still has > hopes for Giganti

                                Well I did go to FOOL2 to teach Giganti and get a finger mashed because you asked me to.... But who didn't bother
                                showing up? Hmmmm?

                                =)

                                You getting your finger bashed was decidedly not my fault - especially since I wasn't there.   And you can blame the Summer of the Migranes for my not being there - I think I can honestly say that I can count on half-a-hand the number of weekends that I wasn't laid out someplace dark, hoping for a head hunter to come along and steal mine.

                                I need to come to Toronto in the nearish futrue anyway, simply because I've promised so many people for so long that I
                                would. I can make the rounds of the rapier practices a do a little teaching too. How does that sound? Or are you
                                going to finhd yourself conveniently out of town?

                                The only weekend that I am aware of that I will be out of town for - currently - is Thanksgiving.  Although I am attempting to plan a visit to Sunny Hamilton :)

                                =)

                                Hopefully--fingers crossed--my time in the archives is nearing an end so another three weeks and I won't have to be tied
                                to Ottawa so much, Maybe something in November perhaps???

                                November should be good - keep me posted!
                                R.

                                Aaron Miedema
                                Lente autem non celer sum.