Re: [E_Rapier] Re: ealdormere-rapier Rules Version 4

  • Gerrard
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
      Most blades are standard length and longer... 98.8% of the time the blades are the same length. I am asking on behalf of someone else.
      Gerrard

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
        I would have to agree with you on that. It's putting the MiC in a terrible
        position and I really can't conceive of being able to bring myself to do
        that. It would seem to make a mountain out of a molehill.

        If I choose not to fight someone, assuming that the reason is NOT one
        pertaining to the potential safety of others on the field, I would reserve
        the right to keep my reasons as personal and not have to tell anyone I don't
        wish to know. I wouldn't want to risk damaging anyone's ego or potentially,
        reputation. A simple "I concede." should be all that's necessary.

        Needless to say, if I felt that ANYONE else's safety were in question, I
        would not hesitate to call it to the MiC's attention.

        This is a very sticky soup indeed.

        Cainder

        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
        Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

        >From: "John Enzinas" <jenzinas@...>
        >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Re: ealdormere-rapier Rules Version 4
        >Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:22:58 -0400
        >
        >On 4/4/07, John Wyatt <jwyatt2@...> wrote:
        > > On the one hand, if we say conceding the bout leads to
        > > a loss all the time, we are giving someone a moment of
        > > doubt as to whether they should walk away from what
        > > they perceive as an unsafe situation. Perhaps it's
        > > not a very big moment of doubt, but when the
        > > adrenaline's up and competitiveness is at it's
        > > height, the smallest thing could tip the scales and
        > > things could turn bad.
        >
        >I agree that this is a potential situation so, given that you have
        >said this is the responsibility of the MiC I'd like to know under what
        >circumstance you would allow THL Pointjock to refuse to fight an THL
        >Wireweenie and not lose the bout and also not require THL Wireweenie
        >to retire from the field as being unsafe for anyone else to fence.
        >
        >I must admit that I cannot think of a circumstance where I would do that.
        >
        >--j/g
      • Bob Roberts
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2007
          What exactly is the issue? Is it that a sword is
          longer than the other? How about if a fencer with
          realy short arms has to fence someone with really long
          arms? Do they automatically win? Is not everyone who
          fences at a tournament authorized? Has not the sfety
          issue already been decided previously? Has not the
          kingdom already decided that x blade length is
          allowed? I know that I have been hit hard by both
          short blades and long blades. It is not the blade that
          hits hard, it is the fencer. By the way, were there
          not swords of differing legnth way back then as well?
          If you went to a duel and faced an opponent with a
          longer sword, could you say that you did not want to
          fight and yet still "win"? Back to what I wrote above,
          if the kingdom has decided that a blade is acceptable
          and that a fencer is authorized then where is the
          problem? Could it lay in a fencer who is unsure of
          themselves and is scared? Should they actually remain
          authorized since they are not ready to fence
          psychologicaly and in fact pose a danger to the fencer
          with the longer sword?
          There is accomodation for limitations and then there
          is just plain sillyness.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
            The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
            fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a fencer
            with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.

            I believe that it's been determined that it's ultimately up to the MiC to
            make that decision.

            I agree that blade length alone is not enough reason to yield a fight. In my
            opinion it's certainly not enough to grant anything other than a loss. On
            it's own, that is.

            I'm sorry if I got things muddled. I still choose to reserve my right to not
            voice my reasons for yielding if it's anything other than a safety issue.
            What is silliness to you may not be at all to someone else. A gentleman
            shouldn't make assumptions.

            Cainder

            @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
              On 4/5/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...> wrote:
              > The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
              > fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a fencer
              > with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.
              >
              > I believe that it's been determined that it's ultimately up to the MiC to
              > make that decision.

              What would be a reason to allow someone to yield a bout without
              loosing and still allow their opponent to continue in the tournament?

              --j
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
                >From: "John Enzinas" <jenzinas@...>
                >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Re: ealdormere-rapier Rules Version 4
                >Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:37:04 -0400
                >
                >On 4/5/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...> wrote:
                > > The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
                > > fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a
                >fencer
                > > with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.
                > >
                > > I believe that it's been determined that it's ultimately up to the MiC
                > > make that decision.
                >
                >What would be a reason to allow someone to yield a bout without
                >loosing and still allow their opponent to continue in the tournament?
                >
                >--j

                Honestly, I can't think of ANY reason that fits those parameters. I will let
                it roll around a bit and see if I can think of something.

                Cainder
              • Nicholas J. Corkigian
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
                  Is it just a matter of boycotting longer blades out of a personal
                  preference (or displeasure)? If so, then I would say that's a personal
                  choice to make that has no bearing on the actual rules. The penalties
                  should go with it. In this case, it's a choice to not fence an
                  opponent, therefore it's a choice to take the loss.

                  -Nikolai

                  --
                  -Nicholas J. Corkigian

                  "Sacred cows make the best burgers"
                  -Robert Kriegel

                  This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
                  only for the individual or entity named in the message. If the reader
                  of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
                  to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
                  any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
                  is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please
                  notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
                  the original message.
                • Ross Weaver
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 5, 2007
                    On 4/5/07, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@...> wrote:

                    > The original question posed to the list (not by me) was regarding if a
                    > fencer with a shorter blade chooses to yield a tournament fight to a
                    > fencer
                    > with a longer blade, does he/she lose the bout.

                    Yeilding to an opponent is to give them the win. If my opponent legs me
                    and I choose to yeild rather than fight from my knees I'm offering them the
                    win, rather than to keep fighting. It does not matter why you yeild,
                    choosing to yeild is choosing to lose.

                    To refuse to fence some due to safety is a different issue. If someone is
                    unsafe they should be removed from the field. If equipment is unsafe it
                    should be removed from the field. But that is obviously not the question
                    here.

                    ~Wilhelm