Rapier at FOOL

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008

      I would like to thank all those who participated in rapier on the Sunday of
      FOOL. I hope you all had fun with the tourney format. I will continue to
      tweak it to make it run more smoothly. Thank you to those who made
      suggestions for said tweaking.

      I would especially like to thank Lord Archibald, ever a scholar and a
      gentleman, who taught a very informative class on the Bolognese tradition of
      swordplay on Sunday morning despite having two badly mashed fingers. I
      thought I was going to miss it as it was originally supposed to be on
      Saturday and I was overjoyed to find out I could participate. As promised I
      am posting a link to a page on the Bolognese school:

      http://www.marozzo.org/

      Another big thank you goes out to Baron Hoskuld who got a number of people
      to try C&T for the first time. I really appreciate it.

      Yours in Service

      Albrecht, Deputy KRM, Cut & Thrust
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2013
        Fruits of our Labours (FOOL) is May 17th - 20th in Ayr Ontario, about
        15 minutes from the Crown Tourney site on Saturday the 18th.
        http://angryhat.com/fool/

        Rapier at FOOL includes:
        Saturday 10 am - 11 am: Dagger class with Eyrny
        Saturday 11 am - noon: Pick-up fights

        Sunday 10 am - noon: Sword & Buckler class by Giovanni

        Sunday 1 pm: Using triangles while parrying: making contact with your
        opponent's blade, and keeping it while you kill them (Eyrny)

        Sunday 2:30 pm: Rapier Tournament: format to be determined by
        participants (Eyrny)

        As I understand it, Crown Tournament is having a rapier tournament
        starting at 1 pm on Saturday
        http://ealdormere.ca/crown/index.html

        If you attend both events, your site token from one will get you a
        discount at the other.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2013
          Are thier any descriptions of these class contents available?

          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2013
            On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Yvonne <tamlin_01@...> wrote:
            Wow, time flies some weeks!

            > Are thier any descriptions of these class contents available?

            Let me know if this provides sufficient clarity:

            >> Rapier at FOOL includes:
            >> Saturday 10 am - 11 am: Dagger class with Eyrny

            Active class on Eyrny's favourite techniques with the dagger. Come in
            full kit. Not based on a particular period master.

            >> Saturday 11 am - noon: Pick-up fights
            >>
            >> Sunday 10 am - noon: Sword & Buckler class by Giovanni

            The class description on the site says: i.33 Sword and Buckler An
            introduction to the basics of the oldest recorded fighting style.

            >> Sunday 1 pm: Using triangles while parrying: making contact with your
            >> opponent's blade, and keeping it while you kill them (Eyrny)

            Again an active class, come in kit. Not based on a particular period master.

            I thoroughly admire the study of period masters, but I've only
            frustrated myself in attempting it from books. My classes will be
            based on what I do.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2014
              Life and work has been keeping me busy, and I am slow to organize
              rapier at FOOL. Thus we have the following:

              We have space both Saturday and Sunday from 10 - 5. Saturday from 10
              - 12 Baron Giovanni will be teaching Harnessfecten (for more details:
              http://angryhat.com/fool/?page_id=154)

              I will be teaching German Longsword through the wonders of technology.
              We will watch The Longsword of Johannes Liechtenauer as taught by the
              Agilitas.tv, on a laptop, pause and work through the exercises,
              discuss, and repeat. (Information on the video:
              http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/ochslongsworddvd.aspx) Please
              bring a 2-handed sword if you have one. Your arms and armour will
              dictate how you practice.

              Saturday at 12:30, all fencers please meet to discuss the best times
              to have tournaments and when to have the longsword class. I'll try to
              accommodate interest in the rapier classes and tournaments and other
              classes. (If you aren't available Sat at 12:30, please email me.)

              Message 6 of 7 , May 13, 2014
                On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw <kgormanshaw@...> wrote:
                 Saturday from 10 - 12 Baron Giovanni will be teaching Harnessfecten (for more details:
                http://angryhat.com/fool/?page_id=154)

                Is anyone planning on taking this class?

                --g
              • Beath├ín MacFinnon
                Message 7 of 7 , May 15, 2014
                  I'd like to.