Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Coronation

  • Anna B
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
      Ya.. I can just see it.. you and Roak, side by side in the newbie tourney..

      I'll be on the sidelines, eating popcorn.

      R.

      Garry Campbell <gareth.rapier@...> wrote:
      Yeah... I havent been in a newbie tourney in years it will be nice to relax and unwind!

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
        I don't know about rapier play, per say, but there are scheduled rapier
        classes for FOOL2.

        Cainder
        who will be teaching other things

        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
        Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
          Hello and yes there is Rapier at FOOL II,

          As for the MiC, one is needed!  Life as it stands for me has made it difficult for me to commit to more than just teaching the two classes that are posted.  If you are interested in being MiC for the day, please contact the Autocrat or myself.

          The plan for the event is simple:

          Saturday:  Rapier Classes & Authorizations.
          A day to allow people to teach a class on a particular Master's work, or a class on a specific topic related to SCA Rapier.  My class about Ettiquette vs the Rules is one such example, but other classes such as: introduction to daggers, in-fighting 101, etc. are welcome.  Anyone can teach, but the guidelines for the day will be as per the rules of an SCA Rapier Practice.  (remember we can authorize at practices...).  There will be no offical tournament or wars.

          Sunday:  "Event" Day with Tournament and/or Melee.
          Classes can still be held, but this day is intended to have a Tournament and/or a Melee.  For this day, you will have to be authorized in a particular form before you use it on the field while the official activities are going on, unless Authorizing in that form.

          If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me or the autocrat,

          Mateo de Merida

          KRM Ealdormere

          @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
          MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@sympatico. ca

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
            I'm one of the closest people to the site but I'm also working that weekend
            and Asa is teaching. I will let people know if things change.

            --- On Tue, 8/12/08, Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@sympatico.

            From: Kelly Wyatt <kgarlow@sympatico. <mailto:kgarlow%40sympatico.ca> ca>
            To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
            Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 4:38 PM

            I don't know about rapier play, per say, but there are scheduled rapier
            classes for FOOL2.

            Cainder
            who will be teaching other things

            @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
            MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@sympatico. ca
            Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
            @@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@
            hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

            >From: Anna B <abaginski@rogers. com>
            >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroup s.com
            >Subject: [E_Rapier] FOOL - Rapier??
            >Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:50:47 -0400 (EDT)
            >
            >Greetings!!
            >
            > I was just going through the schedule for FOOL II and was very surprised
            >to find rapier on the schedule.
            >
            > Who is the MiC and what's the schedule like for the day? There are
            >morning classes on both Saturday and Sunday that I would dearly love to
            >attend, but if there is play to be had, I would love to come and play as
            >well.
            >
            > YiS,
            > Rusalka

          • Anna B
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
              As it stands, I am currently planning on attending both days, but am planning to do so with attending classes in mind, both on Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday class especially will be rather lengthy - 3 hours estimated.

              When not in class I would be happy to help out with authorizations/marshalling as required, but regertfully cannot commit to MiCing the day..

              In service,
              Rusalka

              PS Has anyone poked Archibald - if he's still living - to find out if he'd be willing to teach his faaaaabulous 'lunging' class? I can't recall which Master it was, but it focused primarilly on proper lunges. Also there was the class that Giovanni had taught, which was also rather spectacular and I for one would really love to re-attend, now that I understand more than just a few of the basics.. just a thought

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                Archibald is living in Kingston and has not been coming out to SCA
                events (at least not ones that I've been at).
                The Master that he teaches is Giganti.
                I will not be attending FooL as I'll be at Baron's Howe, but if any of
                you come up for that I'd be more than happy to go over the stuff I
                teach.

                --j

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                  At 12:30 PM 8/12/2008, you wrote:
                  >Hello and yes there is Rapier at FOOL II,
                  >
                  >As for the MiC, one is needed! Life as it stands for me has made it
                  >difficult for me to commit to more than just teaching the two
                  >classes that are posted. If you are interested in being MiC for the
                  >day, please contact the Autocrat or myself.

                  We plan on being there, but haven't thought beyond that. Hoskuld is
                  still off the field with a shoulder injury, I hope to fence. If
                  nothing else, we can arrange some pick-up space.

                  Eyrny
                • argh@cogeco.ca
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                    I'm still alive fear not, but the thesis requires me to keep a fairly low profile. I lurk backwards given the glories
                    of webmail--insert explative of choice--, so I might be able to come and do a Giganti class--lunging or playing the
                    angles, or any number of classes.

                    I'll have to check details but it should not be to much of a problem as I have no schedule I have only work.... It's
                    quite nice.... you should all try it sometime.

                    =)

                    Anyone got a basic cut and thrust class? That could be kind of neat.

                    Aaron Miedema
                    Lente autem non celer sum.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                      I have a basic cut & thrust class (Bolognese school, mostly Marozzo/Dal'
                      whateverhisnameis) but again, it's fairly unlikely I can make it.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                        > I have a basic cut & thrust class (Bolognese school, mostly Marozzo/Dal'
                        > whateverhisnameis) but again, it's fairly unlikely I can make it.

                        Well I suppose if I'm making the trip I could run one myself, and on the "IF" you show I could easily double as your
                        lovely assistant.

                        Lace and boots make it easy to switch roles like that.

                        =)

                        Aaron Miedema
                        Lente autem non celer sum.
                      • argh@cogeco.ca
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 15, 2008
                          OK... Sorry about the length but those who are interested will find it interesting [hopefully].

                          So I've contacted the Class organizer and they have said that they would love to have Rapier classes.

                          Currently transport is the big kicker, I have someone who is potentially willing to come from Kingston but there are no
                          guarantees of that yet. He's also not a SCAdian so you would all have to be nice to him :P

                          Is it possible for someone to take me from Toronto if I took the bus that far? This is only if it comes to that, just
                          scouting options.

                          Conversely if anyone hears tell or knows of someone coming from out Skreal that might have space do tell.

                          So I have a few classes that I could run, they are listed below. This is just what I can come up with up the top of my
                          head, if anyone has something else to suggest I can see if I can develop something. So take a look and then vote,
                          request, suggest.

                          I can run upto three of these classes if I'm feeling truly ambitious. Although if there is anyone else out there who is
                          interested in teaching I will gleefully keep myself to one or two classes. I figure we have the space and thus should
                          use it.

                          1) Principles of Giganti (Rapier): A look at the Guards and Lunge of Nicoletto Giganti, covering the elementary
                          principles of Time, Measure, Defense, and Circling the Sword. REQUIREMENTS: Mask, Gorget, and SCA legal Rapier [42"+
                          variety suggested, but a 36" will work]

                          2) Playing the Angles in Giganti (Rapier): An investigation of Giganti's Bind, Feint, and Affront. REQUIREMENTS:
                          Mask, Gorget, and SCA legal Rapier [42"+ variety suggested, but a 36" will work]

                          3) Introduction Giganti's Rapier and Dagger (Rapier): The basic stance, attack, and defence of Giganti's Rapier and
                          Dagger. REQUIREMENTS: Mask, Gorget, SCA legal Rapier [42"+ variety suggested, but a 36" will work], and dagger or
                          dagger waster [the dagger will not be use in the attack].

                          4) Introduction to Bolognese Sword and Buckler (Cut and Thrust): An introduction to the basic systems of Attack,
                          Guards, and Footwork of Marozzo/Dall'Aggochie. REQUIREMENTS: Mask, Gorget, SCA legal Rapier [36" or shorter variety
                          suggested], and SCA legal Buckler or Target.

                          Lastly I can, if people want toss my copy of Fiore in my bag and run introductory classes on Flos Duelltorum [c. 1410]
                          system of wrestling, dagger fighting, or long sword [although the last two would be dependent on what daggers and
                          wasters we could scrounge up]. This is interesting stuff though not specifically Rapier. This also could work as
                          informal classes to pass the time when we don't have an official classroom.

                          Hmmm.... Tavern Brawling classes, Medieval wrestling and Dagger Seminars after hours?

                          Ta.

                          Aaron Miedema
                          Lente autem non celer sum.
                        • Anna B
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 15, 2008
                            Ooh ooh! Put me down for the Giganti Sword/Dagger and Tavern brawling please!

                            Provided ofcourse it dosn't interfere with the heraldic, embroidery and black hours classes I'm planning on taking.

                            The after-hours tavern brawl sounds like it might be a bit of a blast as well :)

                            Might be able to arrange for transport from TO, but just waiting to hear back to see if I have a full car. Will keep you posted?

                            Cheers,
                            R.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 15, 2008
                              I'd like to take classes #2, 3, & 4.

                              :>
                              Mateo

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 22, 2012
                                The coronation autocrat is looking for a rapier marshal. Anyone interested?

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 22, 2012
                                  I will be there and can marshal, but I will have some other
                                  responsibilities while I'm there.

                                  --j

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 29, 2012
                                    From Gerrard: I shall also be in attendance an can assist as needed.