Re: Rapier War College

  • Dalin Caulder
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 19 11:35 AM
      Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
      there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
      of the fencing community by specializing?

      examples:

      Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
      Winter War - First Melee event of the season
      Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
      Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
      Murder Melee - The name says it all!

      just to name a few.

      Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community to
      have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
      having only single or only melee at our events.

      Dalin Caulder

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 19 12:34 PM
        I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the practice in
        melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at big
        events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
        Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a lot of
        melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian fencers need
        the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and techniques of
        melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to get a
        sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
        weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his extensive
        experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I think this
        is a good thing.

        Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of melee
        fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all with the
        last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork. There were
        also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee, five if one
        includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if there
        was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially ones that
        happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one formats.

        Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is willing to
        take the time to teach, more power to him.

        --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, Mark
        Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

        > Hi Cainder,
        >
        > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
        > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout
        the
        > year, but not so much for melee combat.
        >
        > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
        right
        > from the basics in the morning, in class.
        > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
        > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
        >
        > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
        > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we
        can.
        > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even
        > woods battle if weather permits.
        > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field
        for
        > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
        >
        > -Edward
        >
        > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
        > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
        having
        > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
        you
        > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
        >
        > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
        > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
        > >
        > > Just wondering...
        > > Cainder

      • David Whitford
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 19 10:49 PM
          Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but a War College
          where folks get to practice as a group and try group drills is a very
          different creature than a melee event where everyone is running
          around doing what they think will work. The idea is to build group
          strengths not focus on individual strengths. Having interacted a bit
          with Albrecht and a smidgen more with Edward (and as merely an
          outside observer looking in), I think the idea of once or twice a
          year getting together to train such skills is a splended idea. I have
          had the privilege of having rapier fighters from Ealdormere fighting
          as part of my units at past wars and as individuals they have done
          very very well, there are times that some of the skills from the
          armored field would have increased their value even more. This event
          offers the chance to develope some of those skills.

          Hope you guys have fun with this and hope to sneak up there again
          someday.

          Robert

          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Eve Harris & David Stamper"
          <evedave1@...> wrote:

          > I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the
          practice in
          > melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at
          big
          > events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
          > Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a
          lot of
          > melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian
          fencers need
          > the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and
          techniques of
          > melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to
          get a
          > sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
          > weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his
          extensive
          > experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I
          think this
          > is a good thing.
          >

          > Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of
          melee
          > fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all
          with the
          > last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork.
          There were
          > also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee,
          five if one
          > includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if
          there
          > was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially
          ones that
          > happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one
          formats.

          > Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is
          willing to
          > take the time to teach, more power to him.
          >

          > Albrecht
          >

          > _____

          Behalf
          > Of Dalin Caulder
          > Sent: April 19, 2008 2:35 PM
          > To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [E_Rapier] Re: Rapier War College
          >

          > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
          > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
          > of the fencing community by specializing?
          >
          > examples:
          >
          > Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
          > Winter War - First Melee event of the season
          > Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
          > Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
          > Murder Melee - The name says it all!
          >
          > just to name a few.
          >
          > Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community
          > have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
          > having only single or only melee at our events.
          >
          > Dalin Caulder
          >
          > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
          s.com, Mark
          > Patchett <patchett@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Cainder,
          > >
          > > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
          > > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments
          throughout
          > the
          > > year, but not so much for melee combat.
          > >
          > > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
          > right
          > > from the basics in the morning, in class.
          > > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting,
          basic
          > > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
          > >
          > > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles
          and
          > > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as
          we
          > can.
          > > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe
          even
          > > woods battle if weather permits.
          > > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the
          field
          > for
          > > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
          > >
          > > -Edward
          > >
          > > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2
          weeks
          > > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
          > having
          > > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
          > you
          > > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
          > >
          > > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
          > > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
          > > >
          > > > Just wondering...
          > > > Cainder

        • Garry Campbell
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 28 8:17 AM
            > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
            > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
            > of the fencing community by specializing?

            I just wanted to address this point. I am not a huge fan of melee. As
            it is right now. For years I have watched and played and wondered
            what melee might be like with more structure, training and over all
            participation. In the past years we have had 2 maybe 3 small melee
            oriented events. These were not teaching events just hey lets jump in
            with both feet and kill in packs.

            I have gone to pensic and watched organized co-ordinated teams show
            skill and pride in there ability and acheivments. Its a whole
            different animal from individual fencing.

            I wanted to try and work on this at home. As a kingdom we are not
            known for our Melee abilities. And its not because we do not have
            amazing fencers. Its because we do not take the time to practice and
            learn melee.

            Its a different mode of thinking, a whole world of communication.

            So we have tried this year to move in the direction of education and
            training to make melee more fun, more accessable.

            As those of us who have gone to Pensic and tossed a team together on
            the fly have found out 5 people in a line do not make a melee team.

            There will be plenty of opertunities for regular fencing this summer.
            We are trying to squeeze in melee training for those people who enjoy
            it and are wishing to go to Pensic this year.

            For those of you who have not been to Pensic War. There are war points
            awarded for winning specific tournaments. And Yes fencing has a few
            War points. So now more then before our melee abilities are under the
            microscope...

            I for one am looking forward to being able to field a group at Pensic
            who enjoy and understand melee better. So that we can put in a good
            showing and make our Kingdom shine!

            Thanks

            Gareth
          • Mark Patchett
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2008
              Hi everyone,
              Just a reminder about Rapier War College tomorrow.
              In case anyone has trouble finding us, you can call me on my cell phone at:
              519-505-7881
              -Edward