Rapier War College

  • Mark Patchett
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
      Rapier War College
      (Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)

      Saturday May 3, 2008

      Scholar's Hall
      888 Trillium Dr.
      Kitchener, Ontario
      See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9

      9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
      10:00 In class session
      11:30 Pizza Lunch
      12:30 Armour up & fence
      ~6:00 Doors close

      Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
      Mark and Beth Patchett
      (519) 884-0672
      patchett@...

      $5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
      $5 pizza supper

      ON SITE SHOWERS
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
        Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?

        Just wondering...
        Cainder

        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
        Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
        @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
        hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

        >From: Mark Patchett <patchett@...>
        >To: elist <Ealdormere@yahoogroups.com>, RapierMarshals@yahoogroups.com,
        >E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [RapierMarshals] Rapier War College
        >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:17:35 -0400
        >
        >Rapier War College
        >(Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)
        >
        >Saturday May 3, 2008
        >
        >Scholar's Hall
        >888 Trillium Dr.
        >Kitchener, Ontario
        >See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9
        >
        >9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
        >10:00 In class session
        >11:30 Pizza Lunch
        >12:30 Armour up & fence
        >~6:00 Doors close
        >
        >Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
        >Mark and Beth Patchett
        >(519) 884-0672
        >patchett@...
        >
        >$5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
        >$5 pizza supper
        >
        >ON SITE SHOWERS

      • Mark Patchett
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 18, 2008
          Hi Cainder,

          War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
          We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout the
          year, but not so much for melee combat.

          For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting right
          from the basics in the morning, in class.
          We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
          rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.

          In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
          scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we can.
          I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even a
          woods battle if weather permits.
          As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field for
          one of the massed battles at Pennsic.

          -Edward

          PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
          later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be having
          more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So you
          can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)

          Kelly Wyatt wrote:
          > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
          >
          > Just wondering...
          > Cainder

        • Dalin Caulder
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
            Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
            there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
            of the fencing community by specializing?

            examples:

            Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
            Winter War - First Melee event of the season
            Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
            Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
            Murder Melee - The name says it all!

            just to name a few.

            Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community to
            have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
            having only single or only melee at our events.

            Dalin Caulder

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
              I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the practice in
              melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at big
              events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
              Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a lot of
              melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian fencers need
              the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and techniques of
              melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to get a
              sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
              weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his extensive
              experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I think this
              is a good thing.

              Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of melee
              fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all with the
              last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork. There were
              also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee, five if one
              includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if there
              was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially ones that
              happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one formats.

              Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is willing to
              take the time to teach, more power to him.

              --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, Mark
              Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

              > Hi Cainder,
              >
              > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
              > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout
              the
              > year, but not so much for melee combat.
              >
              > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
              right
              > from the basics in the morning, in class.
              > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
              > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
              >
              > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
              > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we
              can.
              > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even
              > woods battle if weather permits.
              > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field
              for
              > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
              >
              > -Edward
              >
              > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
              > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
              having
              > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
              you
              > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
              >
              > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
              > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
              > >
              > > Just wondering...
              > > Cainder

            • David Whitford
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but a War College
                where folks get to practice as a group and try group drills is a very
                different creature than a melee event where everyone is running
                around doing what they think will work. The idea is to build group
                strengths not focus on individual strengths. Having interacted a bit
                with Albrecht and a smidgen more with Edward (and as merely an
                outside observer looking in), I think the idea of once or twice a
                year getting together to train such skills is a splended idea. I have
                had the privilege of having rapier fighters from Ealdormere fighting
                as part of my units at past wars and as individuals they have done
                very very well, there are times that some of the skills from the
                armored field would have increased their value even more. This event
                offers the chance to develope some of those skills.

                Hope you guys have fun with this and hope to sneak up there again
                someday.

                Robert

                --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Eve Harris & David Stamper"
                <evedave1@...> wrote:

                > I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the
                practice in
                > melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at
                big
                > events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                > Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a
                lot of
                > melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian
                fencers need
                > the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and
                techniques of
                > melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to
                get a
                > sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                > weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his
                extensive
                > experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I
                think this
                > is a good thing.
                >

                > Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of
                melee
                > fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all
                with the
                > last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork.
                There were
                > also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee,
                five if one
                > includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if
                there
                > was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially
                ones that
                > happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one
                formats.

                > Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is
                willing to
                > take the time to teach, more power to him.
                >

                > Albrecht
                >

                > _____

                Behalf
                > Of Dalin Caulder
                > Sent: April 19, 2008 2:35 PM
                > To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [E_Rapier] Re: Rapier War College
                >

                > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                > of the fencing community by specializing?
                >
                > examples:
                >
                > Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
                > Winter War - First Melee event of the season
                > Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
                > Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
                > Murder Melee - The name says it all!
                >
                > just to name a few.
                >
                > Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community
                > have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
                > having only single or only melee at our events.
                >
                > Dalin Caulder
                >
                > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
                s.com, Mark
                > Patchett <patchett@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Cainder,
                > >
                > > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                > > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments
                throughout
                > the
                > > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                > >
                > > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                > right
                > > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                > > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting,
                basic
                > > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                > >
                > > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles
                and
                > > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as
                we
                > can.
                > > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe
                even
                > > woods battle if weather permits.
                > > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the
                field
                > for
                > > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                > >
                > > -Edward
                > >
                > > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2
                weeks
                > > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                > having
                > > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                > you
                > > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                > >
                > > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                > > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                > > >
                > > > Just wondering...
                > > > Cainder

              • Garry Campbell
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                  > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                  > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                  > of the fencing community by specializing?

                  I just wanted to address this point. I am not a huge fan of melee. As
                  it is right now. For years I have watched and played and wondered
                  what melee might be like with more structure, training and over all
                  participation. In the past years we have had 2 maybe 3 small melee
                  oriented events. These were not teaching events just hey lets jump in
                  with both feet and kill in packs.

                  I have gone to pensic and watched organized co-ordinated teams show
                  skill and pride in there ability and acheivments. Its a whole
                  different animal from individual fencing.

                  I wanted to try and work on this at home. As a kingdom we are not
                  known for our Melee abilities. And its not because we do not have
                  amazing fencers. Its because we do not take the time to practice and
                  learn melee.

                  Its a different mode of thinking, a whole world of communication.

                  So we have tried this year to move in the direction of education and
                  training to make melee more fun, more accessable.

                  As those of us who have gone to Pensic and tossed a team together on
                  the fly have found out 5 people in a line do not make a melee team.

                  There will be plenty of opertunities for regular fencing this summer.
                  We are trying to squeeze in melee training for those people who enjoy
                  it and are wishing to go to Pensic this year.

                  For those of you who have not been to Pensic War. There are war points
                  awarded for winning specific tournaments. And Yes fencing has a few
                  War points. So now more then before our melee abilities are under the
                  microscope...

                  I for one am looking forward to being able to field a group at Pensic
                  who enjoy and understand melee better. So that we can put in a good
                  showing and make our Kingdom shine!

                  Thanks

                  Gareth
                • Mark Patchett
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2008
                    Hi everyone,
                    Just a reminder about Rapier War College tomorrow.
                    In case anyone has trouble finding us, you can call me on my cell phone at:
                    519-505-7881
                    -Edward