Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Fencing at Pikeman's Pleasure

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
      Kill someone for me !! Unfortunatly I have to work :-(
      Gerrard
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2008
        This is a wonderfully run event.
        Last year there were prizes galore...

        The weather was fantastic...

        Id love to see this event with more fencers!

        Gareth
      • Griffin de Stokeport
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2008
          So, some weeks have passed and our event of Pikeman's Pleasure XVIII
          draws near.

          I'm now a full Constable so I can actually run the event. Yay me.
          However, I'm still eager for lots of feedback as my skills improve.

          Saturday June 7 from 10:00am in Millbrook (near Peterborough)

          http://www.wraithstudios.ca/petreathule/pikemans2008.html

          The fencing schedule is currently as follows (but may change as things
          happen):
          Armour Inspections • 10:00am to 10:30am
          Bridge Battles • 10:30am to 12:00pm (sharp)
          Lunch • 12:00pm to 12:30pm
          Tournaments & Melees • 12:30 to 3:00pm
          Secondary Weapon Authorizations (Marshals permitting) • 12:30pm to 3:00pm
          Open Practice and Combats • 3:00pm to Court/Feast

          We have the bridge - a very cool wooden bridge that at least two abreast
          can fight on - until noon when we need to give it up to the Heavy Combat
          fighters. Thus, anyone who is coming (and I hope that's lots of you - or
          at least some) should, if possible, be there and kitted up as close to
          the start time as possible. While I love to offer to have full
          authorizations right away in the morning, I can't do that this year due
          to the bridge timing. However, if we have sufficient marshals with the
          right skills we can certainly do auth/secondarys later in the afternoon.

          I'm quite open for any specific tournament or melee ideas. If you have
          something you would like to see done, please let me know and we'll see
          if we can make it happen.

          Thanks and I hope to see lots of you there!

          Griffin

          Griffin de Stokeport wrote:
          > Greetings to the fencers of Ealdormere!
          >
          > On Saturday June 7th, our canton of Petrea Thule will be hosting our
          > annual event, Pikeman's Pleasure in Millbrook (slightly closer to
          > Toronto than coming all the way to Peterborough). This year, as in the
          > past two years, we will be hosting a full range of fencing tournaments
          > including (as I've been promised by the MiC) lots of time to have our
          > own Bridge Battles on a very real bridge. Information will follow
          > along with the website when I have more details.
          >
          > However, my biggest request is to actually SEE some fencers out here.
          > The last two years we've had perhaps no more than 3 fencers each year
          > other than myself. We have LOTS of room along with a canton that fully
          > supports fencing and since everything is being set-up in advance, I
          > can actually work our plans into the day. Any suggestions or requests
          > for specific tournament requests are most welcome.
          >
          > The event goes on rain or shine as we have full use of the massive
          > outdoor fields at the site (and I like to scoop the shaded portions),
          > or the full indoor hockey rink if it rains - two years ago we had
          > perhaps 1/4 of the entire surface JUST for the fencing when it was
          > rather damp outside.
          >
          > Kindly,
          > Lord Griffin de Stockport
          > (who by that time will be a real live Constable and working towards
          > Marshal)

        • Eve and David
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14

            I have asked for and been granted the opportunity to run fencing at Pikeman's Pleasure this year.

            Since it seemed to go pretty well at the DW Einvigi tournament the main tourney will be played as a Norse style tourney called a Holmgang. Normally this would involve breaking three of an opponent’s shields. Since we don’t have breakable shields, it will be the first fencer to reach three counted blows on their opponent. A blow in this case is any valid blow, including to the limbs. Blows will not be acted out. After a valid blow is struck the fencers will reset.

            In this case, instead of doing double elimination the tourney will be played Round Robin, so everyone gets a chance to play with everyone.

            If there is time and space, I’m also hoping to have some melees.

            Albrecht

          • Eve and David
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2

              Schedule for Fencing at Pikeman's Pleasure:

              11:30 Inspections/Authorizations/Free Play

              1:00 Tourney - Round Robin, First to Three Good Blows

              After the tourney, if there is time before court (5 pm), we can do some melee practice.

              Albrecht

              RMIC, Pikeman's Pleasure