Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier War College

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2008
      Thats what I thought. Just wanted to be certain. Thanks !!

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
        Rapier War College
        (Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)

        Saturday May 3, 2008

        Scholar's Hall
        888 Trillium Dr.
        Kitchener, Ontario
        See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9

        9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
        10:00 In class session
        11:30 Pizza Lunch
        12:30 Armour up & fence
        ~6:00 Doors close

        Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
        Mark and Beth Patchett
        (519) 884-0672
        patchett@...

        $5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
        $5 pizza supper

        ON SITE SHOWERS
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
          Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?

          Just wondering...
          Cainder

          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
          Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

          >From: Mark Patchett <patchett@...>
          >To: elist <Ealdormere@yahoogroups.com>, RapierMarshals@yahoogroups.com,
          >E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [RapierMarshals] Rapier War College
          >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:17:35 -0400
          >
          >Rapier War College
          >(Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)
          >
          >Saturday May 3, 2008
          >
          >Scholar's Hall
          >888 Trillium Dr.
          >Kitchener, Ontario
          >See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9
          >
          >9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
          >10:00 In class session
          >11:30 Pizza Lunch
          >12:30 Armour up & fence
          >~6:00 Doors close
          >
          >Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
          >Mark and Beth Patchett
          >(519) 884-0672
          >patchett@...
          >
          >$5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
          >$5 pizza supper
          >
          >ON SITE SHOWERS

        • Mark Patchett
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 18, 2008
            Hi Cainder,

            War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
            We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout the
            year, but not so much for melee combat.

            For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting right
            from the basics in the morning, in class.
            We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
            rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.

            In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
            scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we can.
            I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even a
            woods battle if weather permits.
            As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field for
            one of the massed battles at Pennsic.

            -Edward

            PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
            later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be having
            more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So you
            can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)

            Kelly Wyatt wrote:
            > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
            >
            > Just wondering...
            > Cainder

          • Dalin Caulder
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
              Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
              there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
              of the fencing community by specializing?

              examples:

              Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
              Winter War - First Melee event of the season
              Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
              Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
              Murder Melee - The name says it all!

              just to name a few.

              Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community to
              have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
              having only single or only melee at our events.

              Dalin Caulder

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the practice in
                melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at big
                events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a lot of
                melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian fencers need
                the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and techniques of
                melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to get a
                sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his extensive
                experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I think this
                is a good thing.

                Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of melee
                fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all with the
                last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork. There were
                also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee, five if one
                includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if there
                was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially ones that
                happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one formats.

                Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is willing to
                take the time to teach, more power to him.

                --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, Mark
                Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

                > Hi Cainder,
                >
                > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout
                the
                > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                >
                > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                right
                > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
                > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                >
                > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
                > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we
                can.
                > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even
                > woods battle if weather permits.
                > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field
                for
                > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                >
                > -Edward
                >
                > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
                > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                having
                > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                you
                > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                >
                > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                > >
                > > Just wondering...
                > > Cainder

              • David Whitford
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                  Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but a War College
                  where folks get to practice as a group and try group drills is a very
                  different creature than a melee event where everyone is running
                  around doing what they think will work. The idea is to build group
                  strengths not focus on individual strengths. Having interacted a bit
                  with Albrecht and a smidgen more with Edward (and as merely an
                  outside observer looking in), I think the idea of once or twice a
                  year getting together to train such skills is a splended idea. I have
                  had the privilege of having rapier fighters from Ealdormere fighting
                  as part of my units at past wars and as individuals they have done
                  very very well, there are times that some of the skills from the
                  armored field would have increased their value even more. This event
                  offers the chance to develope some of those skills.

                  Hope you guys have fun with this and hope to sneak up there again
                  someday.

                  Robert

                  --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Eve Harris & David Stamper"
                  <evedave1@...> wrote:

                  > I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the
                  practice in
                  > melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at
                  big
                  > events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                  > Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a
                  lot of
                  > melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian
                  fencers need
                  > the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and
                  techniques of
                  > melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to
                  get a
                  > sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                  > weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his
                  extensive
                  > experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I
                  think this
                  > is a good thing.
                  >

                  > Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of
                  melee
                  > fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all
                  with the
                  > last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork.
                  There were
                  > also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee,
                  five if one
                  > includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if
                  there
                  > was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially
                  ones that
                  > happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one
                  formats.

                  > Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is
                  willing to
                  > take the time to teach, more power to him.
                  >

                  > Albrecht
                  >

                  > _____

                  Behalf
                  > Of Dalin Caulder
                  > Sent: April 19, 2008 2:35 PM
                  > To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [E_Rapier] Re: Rapier War College
                  >

                  > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                  > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                  > of the fencing community by specializing?
                  >
                  > examples:
                  >
                  > Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
                  > Winter War - First Melee event of the season
                  > Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
                  > Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
                  > Murder Melee - The name says it all!
                  >
                  > just to name a few.
                  >
                  > Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community
                  > have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
                  > having only single or only melee at our events.
                  >
                  > Dalin Caulder
                  >
                  > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
                  s.com, Mark
                  > Patchett <patchett@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Cainder,
                  > >
                  > > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                  > > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments
                  throughout
                  > the
                  > > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                  > >
                  > > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                  > right
                  > > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                  > > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting,
                  basic
                  > > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                  > >
                  > > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles
                  and
                  > > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as
                  we
                  > can.
                  > > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe
                  even
                  > > woods battle if weather permits.
                  > > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the
                  field
                  > for
                  > > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                  > >
                  > > -Edward
                  > >
                  > > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2
                  weeks
                  > > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                  > having
                  > > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                  > you
                  > > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                  > >
                  > > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                  > > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                  > > >
                  > > > Just wondering...
                  > > > Cainder

                • Garry Campbell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                    > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                    > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                    > of the fencing community by specializing?

                    I just wanted to address this point. I am not a huge fan of melee. As
                    it is right now. For years I have watched and played and wondered
                    what melee might be like with more structure, training and over all
                    participation. In the past years we have had 2 maybe 3 small melee
                    oriented events. These were not teaching events just hey lets jump in
                    with both feet and kill in packs.

                    I have gone to pensic and watched organized co-ordinated teams show
                    skill and pride in there ability and acheivments. Its a whole
                    different animal from individual fencing.

                    I wanted to try and work on this at home. As a kingdom we are not
                    known for our Melee abilities. And its not because we do not have
                    amazing fencers. Its because we do not take the time to practice and
                    learn melee.

                    Its a different mode of thinking, a whole world of communication.

                    So we have tried this year to move in the direction of education and
                    training to make melee more fun, more accessable.

                    As those of us who have gone to Pensic and tossed a team together on
                    the fly have found out 5 people in a line do not make a melee team.

                    There will be plenty of opertunities for regular fencing this summer.
                    We are trying to squeeze in melee training for those people who enjoy
                    it and are wishing to go to Pensic this year.

                    For those of you who have not been to Pensic War. There are war points
                    awarded for winning specific tournaments. And Yes fencing has a few
                    War points. So now more then before our melee abilities are under the
                    microscope...

                    I for one am looking forward to being able to field a group at Pensic
                    who enjoy and understand melee better. So that we can put in a good
                    showing and make our Kingdom shine!

                    Thanks

                    Gareth
                  • Mark Patchett
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2, 2008
                      Hi everyone,
                      Just a reminder about Rapier War College tomorrow.
                      In case anyone has trouble finding us, you can call me on my cell phone at:
                      519-505-7881
                      -Edward