Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier War College

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8, 2008
      Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? // dagger class / NRP class etc...
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2008
        How about cut & thrust?

        --- thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

        > Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? //
        > dagger class / NRP class etc...

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2008
          We'll see what the people running the event say. As much as I would love to
          do C&T stuff I have no desire to take time away from the main theme of the
          War College, which is melee and melee tactics. These are very necessary and
          worth subjects to have a day of focus on.

          Albrecht

          Deputy KRM for C&T

          _____

          > Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? //
          > dagger class / NRP class etc...

          know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.
          <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>
          yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9, 2008
            Thats what I thought. Just wanted to be certain. Thanks !!

            > Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? //
            > dagger class / NRP class etc...

          • Mark Patchett
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
              Rapier War College
              (Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)

              Saturday May 3, 2008

              Scholar's Hall
              888 Trillium Dr.
              Kitchener, Ontario
              See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9

              9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
              10:00 In class session
              11:30 Pizza Lunch
              12:30 Armour up & fence
              ~6:00 Doors close

              Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
              Mark and Beth Patchett
              (519) 884-0672
              patchett@...

              $5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
              $5 pizza supper

              ON SITE SHOWERS
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
                Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?

                Just wondering...
                Cainder

                @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                >From: Mark Patchett <patchett@...>
                >To: elist <Ealdormere@yahoogroups.com>, RapierMarshals@yahoogroups.com,
                >E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [RapierMarshals] Rapier War College
                >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:17:35 -0400
                >
                >Rapier War College
                >(Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)
                >
                >Saturday May 3, 2008
                >
                >Scholar's Hall
                >888 Trillium Dr.
                >Kitchener, Ontario
                >See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9
                >
                >9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
                >10:00 In class session
                >11:30 Pizza Lunch
                >12:30 Armour up & fence
                >~6:00 Doors close
                >
                >Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
                >Mark and Beth Patchett
                >(519) 884-0672
                >patchett@...
                >
                >$5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
                >$5 pizza supper
                >
                >ON SITE SHOWERS

              • Mark Patchett
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 18, 2008
                  Hi Cainder,

                  War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                  We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout the
                  year, but not so much for melee combat.

                  For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting right
                  from the basics in the morning, in class.
                  We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
                  rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.

                  In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
                  scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we can.
                  I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even a
                  woods battle if weather permits.
                  As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field for
                  one of the massed battles at Pennsic.

                  -Edward

                  PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
                  later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be having
                  more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So you
                  can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)

                  Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                  > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                  >
                  > Just wondering...
                  > Cainder

                • Dalin Caulder
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                    Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                    there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                    of the fencing community by specializing?

                    examples:

                    Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
                    Winter War - First Melee event of the season
                    Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
                    Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
                    Murder Melee - The name says it all!

                    just to name a few.

                    Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community to
                    have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
                    having only single or only melee at our events.

                    Dalin Caulder

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                      I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the practice in
                      melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at big
                      events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                      Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a lot of
                      melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian fencers need
                      the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and techniques of
                      melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to get a
                      sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                      weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his extensive
                      experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I think this
                      is a good thing.

                      Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of melee
                      fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all with the
                      last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork. There were
                      also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee, five if one
                      includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if there
                      was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially ones that
                      happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one formats.

                      Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is willing to
                      take the time to teach, more power to him.

                      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, Mark
                      Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Cainder,
                      >
                      > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                      > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout
                      the
                      > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                      >
                      > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                      right
                      > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                      > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
                      > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                      >
                      > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
                      > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we
                      can.
                      > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even
                      > woods battle if weather permits.
                      > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field
                      for
                      > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                      >
                      > -Edward
                      >
                      > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
                      > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                      having
                      > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                      you
                      > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                      >
                      > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                      > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                      > >
                      > > Just wondering...
                      > > Cainder

                    • David Whitford
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                        Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but a War College
                        where folks get to practice as a group and try group drills is a very
                        different creature than a melee event where everyone is running
                        around doing what they think will work. The idea is to build group
                        strengths not focus on individual strengths. Having interacted a bit
                        with Albrecht and a smidgen more with Edward (and as merely an
                        outside observer looking in), I think the idea of once or twice a
                        year getting together to train such skills is a splended idea. I have
                        had the privilege of having rapier fighters from Ealdormere fighting
                        as part of my units at past wars and as individuals they have done
                        very very well, there are times that some of the skills from the
                        armored field would have increased their value even more. This event
                        offers the chance to develope some of those skills.

                        Hope you guys have fun with this and hope to sneak up there again
                        someday.

                        Robert

                        --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Eve Harris & David Stamper"
                        <evedave1@...> wrote:

                        > I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the
                        practice in
                        > melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at
                        big
                        > events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                        > Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a
                        lot of
                        > melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian
                        fencers need
                        > the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and
                        techniques of
                        > melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to
                        get a
                        > sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                        > weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his
                        extensive
                        > experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I
                        think this
                        > is a good thing.
                        >

                        > Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of
                        melee
                        > fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all
                        with the
                        > last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork.
                        There were
                        > also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee,
                        five if one
                        > includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if
                        there
                        > was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially
                        ones that
                        > happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one
                        formats.

                        > Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is
                        willing to
                        > take the time to teach, more power to him.
                        >

                        > Albrecht
                        >

                        > _____

                        Behalf
                        > Of Dalin Caulder
                        > Sent: April 19, 2008 2:35 PM
                        > To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [E_Rapier] Re: Rapier War College
                        >

                        > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                        > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                        > of the fencing community by specializing?
                        >
                        > examples:
                        >
                        > Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
                        > Winter War - First Melee event of the season
                        > Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
                        > Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
                        > Murder Melee - The name says it all!
                        >
                        > just to name a few.
                        >
                        > Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community
                        > have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
                        > having only single or only melee at our events.
                        >
                        > Dalin Caulder
                        >
                        > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
                        s.com, Mark
                        > Patchett <patchett@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi Cainder,
                        > >
                        > > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                        > > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments
                        throughout
                        > the
                        > > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                        > >
                        > > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                        > right
                        > > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                        > > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting,
                        basic
                        > > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                        > >
                        > > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles
                        and
                        > > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as
                        we
                        > can.
                        > > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe
                        even
                        > > woods battle if weather permits.
                        > > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the
                        field
                        > for
                        > > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                        > >
                        > > -Edward
                        > >
                        > > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2
                        weeks
                        > > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                        > having
                        > > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                        > you
                        > > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                        > >
                        > > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                        > > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                        > > >
                        > > > Just wondering...
                        > > > Cainder

                      • Garry Campbell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                          > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                          > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                          > of the fencing community by specializing?

                          I just wanted to address this point. I am not a huge fan of melee. As
                          it is right now. For years I have watched and played and wondered
                          what melee might be like with more structure, training and over all
                          participation. In the past years we have had 2 maybe 3 small melee
                          oriented events. These were not teaching events just hey lets jump in
                          with both feet and kill in packs.

                          I have gone to pensic and watched organized co-ordinated teams show
                          skill and pride in there ability and acheivments. Its a whole
                          different animal from individual fencing.

                          I wanted to try and work on this at home. As a kingdom we are not
                          known for our Melee abilities. And its not because we do not have
                          amazing fencers. Its because we do not take the time to practice and
                          learn melee.

                          Its a different mode of thinking, a whole world of communication.

                          So we have tried this year to move in the direction of education and
                          training to make melee more fun, more accessable.

                          As those of us who have gone to Pensic and tossed a team together on
                          the fly have found out 5 people in a line do not make a melee team.

                          There will be plenty of opertunities for regular fencing this summer.
                          We are trying to squeeze in melee training for those people who enjoy
                          it and are wishing to go to Pensic this year.

                          For those of you who have not been to Pensic War. There are war points
                          awarded for winning specific tournaments. And Yes fencing has a few
                          War points. So now more then before our melee abilities are under the
                          microscope...

                          I for one am looking forward to being able to field a group at Pensic
                          who enjoy and understand melee better. So that we can put in a good
                          showing and make our Kingdom shine!

                          Thanks

                          Gareth
                        • Mark Patchett
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 2, 2008
                            Hi everyone,
                            Just a reminder about Rapier War College tomorrow.
                            In case anyone has trouble finding us, you can call me on my cell phone at:
                            519-505-7881
                            -Edward