RE: [E_Rapier] Rapier War College

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2008
      No fault involved! I think it is awesomely way wicked cool! My weekend
      schedule is going to be a bit wonky for the foreseeable future but I hope I
      can make it.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2008
        Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? // dagger class / NRP class etc...
        That would be mostly my fault I'm afraid. :-)

        Edward, Hoskuld, and Eryny were all talking about how much this was
        needed and what a great idea it was.

        I simply put my autocrat hat on and found a site (not that hard it will
        be at St. Juse's) and booked the calendar.

        There will be much more on this after Hoskuld and Eryny get back from
        Gulf Wars.

        Rylyn

        Eve Harris & David Stamper wrote:
        > That's what I thought; I just wasn't expecting to see a solid date on the
        > calendar quite so soon. Seeing it on the calendar is a good thing.

      • Bob Roberts
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2008
          How about cut & thrust?

          --- thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

          > Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? //
          > dagger class / NRP class etc...

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8, 2008
            We'll see what the people running the event say. As much as I would love to
            do C&T stuff I have no desire to take time away from the main theme of the
            War College, which is melee and melee tactics. These are very necessary and
            worth subjects to have a day of focus on.

            Albrecht

            Deputy KRM for C&T

            _____

            > Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? //
            > dagger class / NRP class etc...

            know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.
            <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>
            yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 9, 2008
              Thats what I thought. Just wanted to be certain. Thanks !!

              > Is it melee' only or open to other stuff ?? //
              > dagger class / NRP class etc...

            • Mark Patchett
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
                Rapier War College
                (Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)

                Saturday May 3, 2008

                Scholar's Hall
                888 Trillium Dr.
                Kitchener, Ontario
                See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9

                9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
                10:00 In class session
                11:30 Pizza Lunch
                12:30 Armour up & fence
                ~6:00 Doors close

                Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
                Mark and Beth Patchett
                (519) 884-0672
                patchett@...

                $5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
                $5 pizza supper

                ON SITE SHOWERS
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 17, 2008
                  Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?

                  Just wondering...
                  Cainder

                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                  MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                  Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                  hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                  >From: Mark Patchett <patchett@...>
                  >To: elist <Ealdormere@yahoogroups.com>, RapierMarshals@yahoogroups.com,
                  >E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [RapierMarshals] Rapier War College
                  >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:17:35 -0400
                  >
                  >Rapier War College
                  >(Where fencers learn melee fighting skills)
                  >
                  >Saturday May 3, 2008
                  >
                  >Scholar's Hall
                  >888 Trillium Dr.
                  >Kitchener, Ontario
                  >See google map here: http://tinyurl.com/5h29m9
                  >
                  >9:30 Doors Open, coffee & snacks
                  >10:00 In class session
                  >11:30 Pizza Lunch
                  >12:30 Armour up & fence
                  >~6:00 Doors close
                  >
                  >Autocrats: Sir Edward the Red and Countess Rylyn Buchanan
                  >Mark and Beth Patchett
                  >(519) 884-0672
                  >patchett@...
                  >
                  >$5 site fee $3 Non Memeber Surcharge in effect
                  >$5 pizza supper
                  >
                  >ON SITE SHOWERS

                • Mark Patchett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 18, 2008
                    Hi Cainder,

                    War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                    We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout the
                    year, but not so much for melee combat.

                    For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting right
                    from the basics in the morning, in class.
                    We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
                    rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.

                    In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
                    scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we can.
                    I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even a
                    woods battle if weather permits.
                    As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field for
                    one of the massed battles at Pennsic.

                    -Edward

                    PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
                    later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be having
                    more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So you
                    can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)

                    Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                    > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                    >
                    > Just wondering...
                    > Cainder

                  • Dalin Caulder
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                      Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                      there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                      of the fencing community by specializing?

                      examples:

                      Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
                      Winter War - First Melee event of the season
                      Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
                      Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
                      Murder Melee - The name says it all!

                      just to name a few.

                      Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community to
                      have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
                      having only single or only melee at our events.

                      Dalin Caulder

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                        I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the practice in
                        melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at big
                        events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                        Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a lot of
                        melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian fencers need
                        the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and techniques of
                        melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to get a
                        sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                        weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his extensive
                        experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I think this
                        is a good thing.

                        Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of melee
                        fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all with the
                        last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork. There were
                        also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee, five if one
                        includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if there
                        was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially ones that
                        happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one formats.

                        Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is willing to
                        take the time to teach, more power to him.

                        --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com, Mark
                        Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Cainder,
                        >
                        > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                        > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments throughout
                        the
                        > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                        >
                        > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                        right
                        > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                        > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting, basic
                        > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                        >
                        > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles and
                        > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as we
                        can.
                        > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe even
                        > woods battle if weather permits.
                        > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the field
                        for
                        > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                        >
                        > -Edward
                        >
                        > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2 weeks
                        > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                        having
                        > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                        you
                        > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                        >
                        > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                        > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                        > >
                        > > Just wondering...
                        > > Cainder

                      • David Whitford
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 19, 2008
                          Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but a War College
                          where folks get to practice as a group and try group drills is a very
                          different creature than a melee event where everyone is running
                          around doing what they think will work. The idea is to build group
                          strengths not focus on individual strengths. Having interacted a bit
                          with Albrecht and a smidgen more with Edward (and as merely an
                          outside observer looking in), I think the idea of once or twice a
                          year getting together to train such skills is a splended idea. I have
                          had the privilege of having rapier fighters from Ealdormere fighting
                          as part of my units at past wars and as individuals they have done
                          very very well, there are times that some of the skills from the
                          armored field would have increased their value even more. This event
                          offers the chance to develope some of those skills.

                          Hope you guys have fun with this and hope to sneak up there again
                          someday.

                          Robert

                          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Eve Harris & David Stamper"
                          <evedave1@...> wrote:

                          > I hope folks don't take this as too harsh, but we need all the
                          practice in
                          > melee tactics we can get, especially if our teams are to succeed at
                          big
                          > events like Pennsic. We have a relatively small fencing community in
                          > Ealdormere, one that is also quite spread out, and I don't think a
                          lot of
                          > melee practice happens at local group practices. Ealdormerian
                          fencers need
                          > the opportunity to get together and practice the tactics and
                          techniques of
                          > melee, and to work with the same people on a number of occasions to
                          get a
                          > sense of teamwork going. We need to know each other's strengths and
                          > weaknesses. Sir Edward is taking the time to impart some of his
                          extensive
                          > experience in melee fighting to the fencers of Ealdormere and I
                          think this
                          > is a good thing.
                          >

                          > Also, I don't think the final tourney at SS&CS is a good example of
                          melee
                          > fighting as, while some of the concepts apply, it is a free for all
                          with the
                          > last person standing wining, so not very conducive to teamwork.
                          There were
                          > also a number of other tournaments at SS&CS that were not melee,
                          five if one
                          > includes the final. I didn't fence at winter war so I don't know if
                          there
                          > was any single fencing there. The majority of events, especially
                          ones that
                          > happen during the winter months seem to focus on one on one
                          formats.

                          > Again, I think we need to practice melee, and if Sir Edward is
                          willing to
                          > take the time to teach, more power to him.
                          >

                          > Albrecht
                          >

                          > _____

                          Behalf
                          > Of Dalin Caulder
                          > Sent: April 19, 2008 2:35 PM
                          > To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [E_Rapier] Re: Rapier War College
                          >

                          > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                          > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                          > of the fencing community by specializing?
                          >
                          > examples:
                          >
                          > Silk Slippers - End of day melee tournament
                          > Winter War - First Melee event of the season
                          > Spring-Tune up - Melee training to some extent
                          > Ragnarok - Melee fighting is a good part of the day with Gerrard
                          > Murder Melee - The name says it all!
                          >
                          > just to name a few.
                          >
                          > Personally I think we should focus on rapier as a whole community
                          > have the maximum amount of rapier fighters come out as oppose to
                          > having only single or only melee at our events.
                          >
                          > Dalin Caulder
                          >
                          > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
                          s.com, Mark
                          > Patchett <patchett@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Cainder,
                          > >
                          > > War college is focusing on war combat -- so yes just melee.
                          > > We get lots of opportunity for single combat tournaments
                          throughout
                          > the
                          > > year, but not so much for melee combat.
                          > >
                          > > For anyone that is new to melee fighting -- we should be starting
                          > right
                          > > from the basics in the morning, in class.
                          > > We'll cover what the sca rapier rules are for melee fighting,
                          basic
                          > > rules for how to fight well in a melee, teamwork, etc.
                          > >
                          > > In the afternoon we'll be doing melee drills, practice battles
                          and
                          > > scenarios -- right from very small ( 1 on 2 ) up to as large as
                          we
                          > can.
                          > > I would love to see 30 on 30 by the end of the day, and maybe
                          even
                          > > woods battle if weather permits.
                          > > As a comparison, I think there were about 350 fencers on the
                          field
                          > for
                          > > one of the massed battles at Pennsic.
                          > >
                          > > -Edward
                          > >
                          > > PS: for people who want to get some more rapier fighting in 2
                          weeks
                          > > later, Spring Tune Up in Cookstown is 2 weeks later, and will be
                          > having
                          > > more melee battles and skills sessions as well as tournaments. So
                          > you
                          > > can put some of what you learn at Rapier war college to use :)
                          > >
                          > > Kelly Wyatt wrote:
                          > > > Is this all melee? Will there be any non-melee work/discussion?
                          > > >
                          > > > Just wondering...
                          > > > Cainder

                        • Garry Campbell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 28, 2008
                            > Maybe I'm still new to this whole melee combat thing..but aren't
                            > there several events that have Melee rapier...so why close out part
                            > of the fencing community by specializing?

                            I just wanted to address this point. I am not a huge fan of melee. As
                            it is right now. For years I have watched and played and wondered
                            what melee might be like with more structure, training and over all
                            participation. In the past years we have had 2 maybe 3 small melee
                            oriented events. These were not teaching events just hey lets jump in
                            with both feet and kill in packs.

                            I have gone to pensic and watched organized co-ordinated teams show
                            skill and pride in there ability and acheivments. Its a whole
                            different animal from individual fencing.

                            I wanted to try and work on this at home. As a kingdom we are not
                            known for our Melee abilities. And its not because we do not have
                            amazing fencers. Its because we do not take the time to practice and
                            learn melee.

                            Its a different mode of thinking, a whole world of communication.

                            So we have tried this year to move in the direction of education and
                            training to make melee more fun, more accessable.

                            As those of us who have gone to Pensic and tossed a team together on
                            the fly have found out 5 people in a line do not make a melee team.

                            There will be plenty of opertunities for regular fencing this summer.
                            We are trying to squeeze in melee training for those people who enjoy
                            it and are wishing to go to Pensic this year.

                            For those of you who have not been to Pensic War. There are war points
                            awarded for winning specific tournaments. And Yes fencing has a few
                            War points. So now more then before our melee abilities are under the
                            microscope...

                            I for one am looking forward to being able to field a group at Pensic
                            who enjoy and understand melee better. So that we can put in a good
                            showing and make our Kingdom shine!

                            Thanks

                            Gareth
                          • Mark Patchett
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2, 2008
                              Hi everyone,
                              Just a reminder about Rapier War College tomorrow.
                              In case anyone has trouble finding us, you can call me on my cell phone at:
                              519-505-7881
                              -Edward