Rapier at Wassail

  • Aaron Gormanshaw
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
      Rapier at Wassail:

      The tournament for the day will be a "Round Robin", so everyone gets as much fighting as possible.

      There is, however, a twist...

      Each participant will be given a quantity of questions - one question per opponent that they will face in the tourney. These questions will be about Ealdormerian history, and will range from "Easy" to "Intermediate" to "Hard". If you answer your question correctly, you get your choice of weapon form for a particular bout. If you get it wrong, you are fighting Single Rapier for that bout. You will get most of your questions when you sign in at the list table, and the remainder when the list table is closed (and we therefore know how many opponents that you have and how many questions you are supposed to get). You may gather the answers to the questions in whatever manner you chose - there should be plenty of "Old Pharts", Heralds, and others in the hall who can help you figure them out. They are under no obligation, of course, to give you the right answer...

      You may chose which of your questions is to be used for each bout, which means you can do the "hmm, I know I can take this person in single, and I have no idea of the right answer for this question, so it seems like a good match to me..."

      At the start of each match, you will be asked to present the question that you want used and the appropriate answer.

      The only one who has the official answers to these questions is the List Person, and answers will not have been seeded to the other attendees. There will be no arguing the answers with the List Person.

      Site opens at 10:00. The List will open for authorizations & sparring at 11:00. The List Table will open at 11:00. The tourney will start at 1:00.

      Good Luck!

      Baron Hoskuld
      The Fool who volunteered to be in charge of Fencing

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2007
        Dang nab it! My family Christmas party is that day!

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2007
          At 11:03 PM 12/10/2007, you wrote:
          >Dang nab it! My family Christmas party is that day!

          Go to the party in the late afternoon?

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008

            Wassail! Is rapidly approaching:

            http://wassail.50webs.com/index.html

            There will be a fencing tourney at the event. It will be a round robin dance
            card format. Each fencer will be provided with a sheet where they can record
            the names of their opponents, any special conditions for their bouts and
            whether they won or lost.

            Special conditions can be anything the opponents agree upon as long as the
            conditions don't break the rules for rapier combat in Ealdormere. Special
            conditions could include things like: draw cuts only, Scholar's Privilege
            (not cuts or thrusts to the face), invulnerable limbs or other body parts,
            the Fechtschule rule (only blows to the head are counted) etc. Be original
            and have fun!

            Rapier inspections will begin at 12:30 pm and the tourney will start at 1
            pm. I look forward to seeing you on the 29th.

            Albrecht
          • Mark Patchett
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2008
              Hi Albrecht,

              Could you drop me an email with your phone number, or give me a call at
              home tonight?

              Thanks,
              -Edward
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2013

                With the moot at 3:30 we will start fencing early!

                9 am site opens
                10 am fencing list bear pit
                12 or 12:30 break for authorizations
                1 pm Toys for Tots Tourney - bring a toy to enter, double elim, bring an extra toy for 1 extra life
                More depending on time and interest
                3 pm list closes

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 28, 2013
                  Come get your seasonal rapier in at Wassail! Fight one, Fight all!
                  Be Thankful and Joyful!