Re: [E_Rapier] Rigid Parry Question

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2007
      At 02:13 AM 8/23/2007, you wrote:
      >In keeping with the Norman persona I have going (yes... a 12C Norman
      >that fences.. go figure)

      Don't worry, we've had fencing Vikings in the area before :-)

      >I'd like to make an axe-shaped rigid parry
      >device. I wouldn't make the axe head very sharply inclined - probably no
      >more than a 1/4 circle (at the very most) for the top and bottom curves
      >of the axe-head.

      It will be beautiful. If it fits the period, extend the ax part over
      the back side of the haft, so that you end up with 4 places to hook a
      blade, though only the one under the head is large, the other three
      will work as well.

      Our ax head was made by cutting bits of foam and wrapping it tightly
      with duct tape. I'd recommend NOT wrapping it as tightly as you can
      go, ours is so thoroughly compressed that it has no give, and you
      wouldn't think it was foam without cutting it open.

      I'd also stick with a hardwood dowel for a handle. I've had no
      complaints about damaging other people, and we've been using it for
      years. But the hardwood will stand up to rapiers and a rattan stick
      will not, it will breakdown and turn into dust. (And since I'm
      allergic to that dust, I won't fence you with it if I know it's rattan.)

      >Opinions? The MiT in me says that the axe-head isn't "entangling" the

      You should have no problems.