Fall Rapier Event

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 23 , May 6 7:43 AM
      Hi all,

      Putting feelers out and looking for input for a 2nd annual Ealdormere Academy of Rapier (EAR).  So, thoughts, questions, anything?

      I'm putting together plans for another Rapier event somewhere in the central Kingdom area (Bastille/Ardcreag).  Location is still TBA.  Not married to it, but trying to makes sure no one has to drive too too far for it.  Thoughts?

      I'm aiming for September 20th (spaced evenly between Feast of the Bear and Huntsman's Harvest) although I'm not married to this date and willing to consider alternatives.  Thoughts?

      So last year had practical classes, sit down classes, and a fighting list.  This worked well and seems a good model to aim for again.  Although I'm all ears for anything in particular that people might want to see this time around.  Thoughts?

      I suspect a Rapier Moot would also work well again.  Gavin, thoughts?

      --
      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian

      Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture 21 Brothers http://www.21brothers.com/ Guinness Book of World Records Holder for "Longest film shot in a single take."
    • dafydd@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 6 7:57 AM
        Just a thought for some stuff we could add.

        What about some A&S type classes? I'm thinking stuff like:

        How to care for your rapier gear
        How to make a rapier sheath and belt hanger
        How to make armour that will pass the punch test

        This could fill out the day if we have enough people (unless people just want to spend the day actually fencing, in which case maybe we propose this as a class stream at Practicum or something).

        Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
        Canton of Harrowgate Heath

      • Gavin Lusk

          Message 4 of 23 , May 6 8:05 AM
            Dafydd,

            All spiffing ideas, anything that will work well in a class room will readily have space available.  Here is the kicker, did you have thoughts on instructors?  This is always the big stumbling block between idea and reality in things like this?  Did you want to teach one?  =)

            I can see the Rapier Armour one being a good round table / seminar, kind of a show and tell and blather kind of thing.  So that has potential.

                Message 7 of 23 , May 6 8:10 AM
                  Nothing but good words came back to Trinovantia Nova about last year's event.  Any chance of moving it one weekend earlier?  Sept 20th weekend I have my son and the 27th is Pamela's birthday...which I'd hate to be the bad spouse and abandon her to go fencing...  ;)

                  When you settle on details, I can promote it here in London to get as many fencers as possible out to it.

                  Regards,
                  Gregorie

                  Sent from Samsung Mobile

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 6 8:27 AM
                        When is Coronation?
                        September 20th would be the traditional date, but I don't see it on the calendar yet.

                        Coronation would bump anything we pick, so I would make sure the Coronation date is nailed down before finalizing a date.
                        -Edward

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 6 9:39 AM
                              It's on the Calendar,  Sept 24.  Der Wulfengau.

                              Cheers,
                              Kersteken

                              Sent from my iPhone

                            • Beth Patchett
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 6 9:43 AM

                                Ummmm...September 24 is a Wednesday.

                                Der Welfengau is doing Spring Crown on MAY 24.

                                No Kingdom events for the Fall are listed on the online calendar.

                                Rylyn

                                --
                                aut viam invenium aut faciam

                              • Eve and David
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 6 11:39 AM

                                  That’s a Wednesday.  I can’t find it on the Kingdom Calendar.

                                  Albrecht

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 6 11:40 AM

                                    We’re hosting Crown Tourney this May 24th.

                                    Albrecht

                                    (Yes, please do come, there will be lots of fencing)

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 6 11:45 AM

                                      Stupid spam filter. Sorry Your Grace, I didn’t see your post.

                                      Albrecht

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 6 11:52 AM

                                        Better twice than not at all.

                                        :-)
                                        Rylyn

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 6 4:11 PM
                                          Oops!  The bids are settled,  I'll ping the Event Stewards to get the details out.

                                          Kersteken

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          On May 6, 2014, at 2:52 PM, Beth Patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

                                          Better twice than not at all.

                                          :-)
                                          Rylyn

                                          • tamlin_01
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 7 5:20 AM

                                              The date of Corination is depnedent on Privay Council, please encourage them to review bids quickly!

                                              Jocelyn

                                            • tamlin_01
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 7 5:21 AM

                                                Thank you !

                                                Jocelyn

                                              • tamlin_01
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 7 5:25 AM

                                                  Anyone want to help me put together a beginner's track, to talk about things like:

                                                  Armour

                                                  Swords

                                                  Blade/ equipment maintenance

                                                  Rules,