Cross-hilt recommendations

  • Beathán MacFinnon
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25 6:33 AM
      Hello.

      I have been considering picking up a cross hilt single hand sword for
      earlier period SCA fencing, possibly at Pennsic. Something
      arming-sword(ish). I've been looking at the Alchem gothic hilt with a
      flat tang blade. Any reviews or recommendations?

      Appreciatively,

      Lord Beathán MacFinnon.
    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25 6:45 AM
        Beathan (pardon my not being on top of my accent functions)

        The problem is Tinker Pearce's are no longer readily available, this has actually been a bit of a bane in the WMA community.

        Alchem's gear is serviceable (its not the prettiest stuff out there, but is works).  The big problem with alchem is the time it is taking for Alchem to fill orders.

        Darkwood has an arming sword for about $90 more, although the say clearly that the blade is "cut and thrust" legal, so Do don't konw if it is Rapier legal.  But, they also do a fair amount of custom work, so you could get a 34 or 32 inch rapier legal blade on one of their hilts.  But, likely more sheckles.

        http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=503&zenid=ra1je7o6rnkep8ev2jqoqij2f3

        For $200 more (then darkwood) you can get an Albion I.33, pretty much top of the line as sparing blades go.

        http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/swords-albion-mark-maestro.htm

        Of course I'm also interested to hear if anyone has any other ideas.

        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian

        Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture 21 Brothers http://www.21brothers.com/ Guinness Book of World Records Holder for "Longest film shot in a single take."
      • Eve and David
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25 6:55 AM

          It is a pretty hilt and one that would go well with your persona. You may want to go without the side ring though, as I don’t recall seeing side rings in the 14th or 15th c. Norman has the earliest one c. 1510. It would be nice if he could do a finger ring/trigger guard so you could hook your finger over the quillion and have some protection for it.

          I haven’t had much experience with their flat tang blades but I think Giovanni has. The price is a good one, with the equivalent Darkwood sword being $285 and only usable for C&T.

          Albrecht

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25 7:12 AM
            I like their flat tang blades quite a bit. For the price they are very good.
            They are not as pretty as some of the other options, but they are still decent.

            Other options include
            http://www.jamesthejust.com/

            as a side note, we may have one of the Alchem Scarf Swords for sale. Let me check.

            --g