Fwd: SCA Rapier News

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 20, 2014

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: SCA Rapier News <noreply@...>
      Date: Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM
      Subject: SCA Rapier News
      To: kgormanshaw@...

      SCA Rapier News

      RULING - Spears/Polearms/Pikes

      As of March 17, 2014, additions/revisions are being made to the October 2013 version of the handbook to address the use of Spears/Polearms/Pikes on the rapier field.  Please check with your area's Kingdom Rapier Marshal on how this classification of weapon is being used.

      What this ruling doesdo:
      • Mandates that all fighters must be authorized before using this type of weapon on the field.
      • Establishes a baseline definition of this class of weapon.
      • Provides a common ground starting point for the use of these weapons at interkingdom events.

      What this ruling does notdo:
      • Forces kingdoms to use this weapon.  As with all of the rules, kingdoms are allowed to be more restrictive than the Society rules.  If a kingdom is not interested in having spears as part of their program, there is now a clear definition of the weapon.
      • Limits how these weapons are used in wars.  As with mock gunnery (RBGs), it is up to the kingdoms and stewards of interkingdom wars to determine how many of these weapons are used on the field.  It is being strongly suggested that they follow the current convention of mock gunnery (percentage of fighters on the field – usually 10%).
      • Details the exact authorization procedure.  As with all the other weapons and forms, it is up to each kingdom to determine the best authorization procedure for their area.  Kingdoms also have the option to designate these weapons as “experimental” in their kingdom in order to build hands-on experience before moving forward.
      The ruling can be found here: http://sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/rapier/
      You are subscribed to email updates from SCA Rapier News
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      Email delivery powered by Google

    • tamlin_01
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014

        PLEASE ALL NOTE: "  Please check with your area's Kingdom Rapier Marshal on how this classification of weapon is being used"

        Before we all go buy Spears I would like to make the strong suggestion that the Spear experiment that is currently in place be allowed to continue so that the KRM can make an informed decision about the use of Spears in Ealdormere.

        Further more I would suggest there is a learinging  curve to be established with our Marshal team about the use of the weapon, its authoriation process and above all calibration.

        Lastly, I would suggest it would be best that all future correspondence on the issue of Spears be confined to the marshal list until our KRM is ready to make the call on the use in Ealdormere.

        In Service,

        THL Jocelyn Cranewall

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014
          > Lastly, I would suggest it would be best that all future correspondence on the issue of Spears be confined to the marshal list until our KRM is ready to make the call on the use in Ealdormere.

          I respectfully disagree. I think everyone should have a chance to
          know what's possible at the Society level and participate in
          discussions about the potential for fun, safety concerns, and ways in
          which Ealdormere may choose to use these options (or decline to).

          Marshals exist to ensure our safety within the game we play, NOT to
          determine what the game IS.

          Eyrny
        • tamlin_01
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014

            So how would you have marshall's commit an authorization or know what acceptable calibration is on a weapon they have no knowledge of?

            With out that knowledge there will be a regional development of what is acceptable and what is not across the Knigdom..What' done London may not be acceptable on Ottawa.

            This issue is already a problem as the acceptable level of calibration changes at Trenton, the west in our Kingdom hits harder then the east.  Shouldn't the level of required safety be equallized across the Kingdom prior to the introduction of a new weapon's form?

            Jocleyn

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014

                I think we have greater issues to reslove before the introduction to this new weapons form.

                Jocelyn

              • tamlin_01
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014

                  Having said that I am going to respect HE Giovanni's spear experiment, reseve comment until its completion and await the results of the conversations it preculates.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014
                    Current results are inconclusive.

                    --g

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 21, 2014
                        The real problem seems to be an issue of manufacturing.

                        The current rules (as well as the rules we were using for the experiment) only permitted existing legal blades to be used as the spear blades. Most of the attachment methods that people devised required more effort, expertise or equipment than people had interest in generating, especially with a potentially limited set of people to play with. Simpler solutions (such as rubber or foam) are not allowed under our existing rules set and thus could not be used without explicit permission of the KEM, and while some effort had been made in that direction, the impending (and now released) ruling from the SRM put that on hold.

                        Now that people have seen them in action and there is a ruling which provides wider access, there is a bit more interest and energy i.e. more reward for the effort.

                        --g

                        On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw <kgormanshaw@...> wrote:

                        If nobody's interested, trend suggests Ealdormere doesn't want to be bothered

                        On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

                        Current results are inconclusive.

                        --g

                        On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM, <tamlin_01@...> wrote:

                        Having said that I am going to respect HE Giovanni's spear experiment, reseve comment until its completion and await the results of the conversations it preculates.

                        Jocelyn

                      • Aaron Miedema
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 22, 2014
                          I second Giovanni,

                          The big problem here is that its been a bit of a hassle getting an answer on what was an acceptable weapon.  Although that is now being clarified and spears will likely appear soon.

                          Giovanni, I wonder if an A and S spear class at Kingdom A and S might be helpful to demystify things?  I could rumage through an Italian source and come up with something, or do you have something German in your back pocket?

                          On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

[...]

                          Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
                          Historian
                          Author of:
                          Nicoletto Giganti's School of the SwordAvailable July 2014
                          Bayonets and Blobsticks, The Canadian Experience of Close Combat 1915-1918.
                          Available from Legacy Books Press.  http://legacybookspress.com/index.html

                          Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture 21 Brothers http://www.21brothers.com/ Guinness Book of World Records Holder for "Longest film shot in a single take."