name change

  • Maria Meerson
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 25, 2013
      Hi all,
      Just letting you know I'm changing my SCA name to Alessandro Falchetti da Florenza.

      Thanks,
      Maria Meerson (formerly Rohesia de Sées)

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013
          whoops typo. it is supposed to be di
          Maria

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013
            Going by the full Allesandro or are you going to shorten it down for common usage at all?
            :-)

            Kelly Wyatt/Cainder ingen hui Chatharnaig
            Trillium Principal Herald,

            Kingdom of Ealdormere

            To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
            From: seishun.academy@...
            Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013

                  Oh dear. I think I jut opened myself to interesting short names by picking such a long name. Alrightly, since Jocelyn already started using that slightly odd (to me) short form, I'll answer to it, but I do prefer Alessandro or Sandro. Please, DON'T call me Alex! I will not answer to that.

                  Maria

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                  From: seishun.academy@...
                  Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013

                    From: seishun.academy@...
                    Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013
                      so not Alff?

                      --g

                      From: seishun.academy@...
                      Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                        From: seishun.academy@...
                        Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                        --
                        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
                        Historian

                      • Maria Meerson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013
                          Actually, in looking at one of the st gabriel reports at Herlad's Point this past Pennsic, one of the documentable ways of saying Firenze was Florenza. A less common one, but that was the point :)

                          Alessandro

                          From: seishun.academy@...
                          Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013
                            Footnote please.

                            From: seishun.academy@...
                            Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                              From: seishun.academy@...
                              Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013
                                Further research would have turned up the St Gabriel's reference she was referring to, which is here:

                                http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2550+0

                                If I read it correctly, the name is correct in Latin, but not in Italian, so I guess it would depend on period or possibly region.

                                Dafydd

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013

                                  On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Aaron Miedema <govianus@...> wrote:

                                  As to "di" or "da" well either works.  as does "de".  di and de are "of."  Da means "from."  Both are acceptable for names.  For example Angelo Viggiani Dal Montone Da Bologna.  This means ...  Viggiani From the Montone from Bologna.

                                  They  don't have rules depending on the gender of the noun, as French does?

                                  Eyrny
                                • Maria Meerson
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 26, 2013

                                    Aaron,
                                    Will this do? It's an image from a piece in the Museo Delgi Argenti in Florence.

                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/103307467@N08/9959670213/#comments

                                    Thanks for making me do my homework properly...

                                    Alesssandro

                                    From: seishun.academy@...
                                    Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 27, 2013
                                      OK...   a couple of questions to address...

                                      First gender of the de and di.  These terms are ungendered, although gender is a significant factor in Italian, but, perhaps not as much as French.

                                      Fiorentini, yes it is close, but, it is an actual surname and would not require the di of da.  Curiously surnames are late to the game.  The Catasto of 1427 to which they refer only lists surnames for 45% of the population.

                                      OK Maria, so you have a map.  Where does this map come from?  Who made it and when?

                                      I know I am a pain, but, this is kind of what I do professionally.  =)

                                      From: seishun.academy@...
                                      Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 30, 2013
                                        Perhaps the e-heralds list would be a better place for further discussion regarding Italian name formation in the SCA?

                                        Cainder

                                        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com

                                        From: seishun.academy@...
                                        Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:19:01 -0700