More details about fencing at Coronation

  • dafydd@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13 9:13 AM
      We're now only two weeks away from Coronation in Cornwall. Lots of details are up on the web site (http://coronation.harrowgateheath.com) but I wanted to give an update on the fencing.

      His Highness is pleased with the ransom contest and has asked us to think about how these ransoms would have been done in period. With that in mind, I'm going to add a bit of an extra twist: The ransom you pay when "captured" will also relate to your SCA rank.

      In period, the more important you were, and the higher your rank, the more you had to pay for your ransom if you were captured. So a regular soldier might have had to pay a relatively small amount (although probably still close to what he would make in a year or more), while a Baron or Prince would have paid significantly more. So that's what we're going to do.

      Each fencer will start out with 10 tokens, which will be as close as I can get to items that might have been used as actual ransoms in period (but no livestock I'm afraid).

      If you are captured (which means you've been double-armed since a dead prisoner isn't worth much), you will have to pay a ransom, with the amount set based on your SCA rank in the Order of Precedence. I'm hoping this will add a bit of fun and authenticity without complicating things too much.

      Keep in mind that this contest is outside of the actual tournaments, so even if you run out of tokens, you can continue to fence in the tournaments and do pick-ups – it just means you aren't in the running for the contest prize (although if you capture other people you could refresh your pot of tokens).

      Winner of the grand prize is the person with the most tokens at the end of the fencing day. Any ties will be fought to the death.

      Here's the way the ransoms will be handled:

      5 tokens - Current/formal royal
      4 tokens – Peer, Baron/Baroness (Landed or Court)
      3 tokens - Grant of Arms
      2 tokens - Award of Arms
      1 token - No Kingdom Level Award

      As an example:

      If I captured HE Giovanni, I would get 4 tokens as he is a Baron. In turn, if he captured me, he would only get two tokens as my highest award is an AOA level. However, if he captured His Grace Edward the Red, Giovanni would receive 5 tokens as he captured someone who is a former King.

      Clear as mud (which is also period)?

      See you in a few weeks,

      Lord Dafydd ap Alan
      RMIC - Fall Coronation
    • tamlin_01

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 17 7:23 AM
          If folks want to look into period appropriate ransoms and bring their own, that's totally OK too. You can just replace some of the ones I'm bringing so that you still are starting with ten items. I just didn't want people to have to spend a bunch of extra money to participate in the tournament.

          As far as livestock goes, no real animals allowed (I don't want to have to hose down the gym afterwards) but "livestock" (aka something that would represent livestock like a stuffed animal or something) would be totally OK.

          Dafydd

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 18 12:55 PM
              All I'm going to say is that the winner is the person who has the most tokens at the end of the fencing day. Beyond that, I'm not going to weigh in on any particular strategies that people may choose to invoke in order to earn or acquire tokens.

              I'll qualify that with two things:

              1) Refusing to pay a ransom if you are double armed is not cool.
              2) Theft of other people's tokens will be very much frowned upon.

              As we're not doing melees, I'm not sure how you could earn protection money but if you can come up with something that's within the rules of the individual tourneys, that would be between you and the person you are protecting. :)

              Dafydd