September 14th Schedule

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2013
      Well when these things get going the momentum takes off. Here is the
      latest class list / schedule. Things may change, and, of course if there
      is anyone who wants to teach, I still have some space.

      *How to run a combat list *

      Lady Isabel Atwyll

      Location: Meeting Room

      Length: 1 hour.

      The class includes discussing various types of combat lists including the
      double elimination tree, round robins, and bear pits and how they apply to
      SCA combat. This class will also include different hints and tricks should
      problems arise and how to work with the marshals and heralds.

      *Theoretical Melee Tactics*

      Raith and Tadic

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: 1.5 hours

      Gear: Full SCA fencing armour and whatever weapons you are authorized with.

      Fighting with a partner, Fighting with more than one partner, movement in a
      melee line, common tasks on a melee line, different tactics and formations,
      and last but not least communication as part of a team.

      *Don't do what Joachim Doesn't does: the counterintuitive techniques of
      Joachim Meyer*

      Baron Giovanni d'Enzinas

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: 1 hour

      Gear: Mask, Sword (ideally 36�)

      This class will explore several plays from the rapier techniques of Joachim
      Meyer that don't look like they should work based on standard fencing
      principles.

      *A Brief Intellectual of History Italian Fencing: Theory, Problems, and
      Approaches*

      Archibald Weatherford

      Location: Meeting Room

      Length: 2 hours.

      An introduction to the intellectual history of Italian swordplay and
      martial arts from Fiore Dei�Liberi to Francesco Alfieri. This course will
      examine the evolution of the different schools Italy and the development of
      instructional literature over the course of two and a half centuries.
      Additionally,
      problems of historical method, translation, and interpretation will be
      addressed including: hermeneutics, post-structuralism, and
      trans-nationalism.

      *The Same, but Different, an introduction to Cut and Thrust for Armoured
      Fighters.*

      THL Jocelyn de Cranewall

      Location: Meeting Room

      Length: 1 hour.

      A round table discussion looking at the similarities and differences
      between Armoured combat and Cut and Thrust Rapier.

      *Introduction to Dobringer�s Longsword*

      Guillame

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: 1 hour.

      Gear: Two handed Sword

      *Bolognese Sword and Buckler*

      THL Albrecht Stampfer

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: 1 hour

      Gear: Sword, 36" or shorter preferred and a buckler

      This class will consist of an introduction to the Bolognese School of
      Defence with an emphasis on the Achille Marozzo's *Opera Nova dell'Arte
      delle Armi* of 1536. The various combinations of cuts, thrusts and guardia
      of the tradition will be explored through the use of non-contact drills.

      Time

      Multi-Purpose Room (1)

      Multi-Purpose Room (2)

      Meeting Room

      10:00

      Authorizations, Inspections, and Open List

      How to run a combat list

      11:00

      Theoretical Melee Tactics

      The Same, but different

      12:00

      Lunch

      Lunch

      Lunch

      1:00

      Applied Melee Tactics � Warlord Tournament

      A Brief Intellectual History of Italian Fencing

      2:00

      Introduction to Dobringer�s Longsword

      3:00

      Bolognese Sword and Buckler