Ealdormere Academy of Defence: Call for Teachers / Class List

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
      Hello again.... the class list is taking shape. BUT, I still have class
      space available. So if you have something to teach (hands on or
      theoretical, come share it. Send me an email and I can fit you in.

      You don't have to be a veteran teacher. There are several new teachers on
      the roster. This is a good opportunity to get your feet wet. So dive in
      and get a soaker. =)

      What's on deck so far:

      *How to run a combat list *

      Lady Isabel Atwyll

      Location: Meeting Room

      Length: 1 hour.

      The class includes discussing various types of combat lists including the
      double elimination tree, round robins, and bear pits and how they apply to
      SCA combat. This class will also include different hints and tricks should
      problems arise and how to work with the marshals and heralds.

      *Melee Tactics and Theory *

      Raith and Tadic

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length:

      Gear:

      Fighting with a partner, Fighting with more than one partner, movement in a
      melee line, common tasks on a melee line, different tactics and formations,
      and last but not least communication as part of a team.

      *Don't do what Joachim Doesn't does: the counterintuitive techniques of
      Joachim Meyer*

      Baron Giovanni d'Enzinas

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: 1 hour

      Gear: Mask, Sword (ideally 36�)

      This class will explore several plays from the rapier techniques of Joachim
      Meyer that don't look like they should work based on standard fencing
      principles.

      *A Brief Intellectual of History Italian Fencing: Theory, Problems, and
      Approaches*

      Archibald Weatherford

      Location: Meeting Room

      Length: 2 hours.

      An introduction to the intellectual history of Italian swordplay and
      martial arts from Fiore Dei�Liberi to Francesco Alfieri. This course will
      examine the evolution of the different schools Italy and the development of
      instructional literature over the course of two and a half centuries.
      Additionally,
      problems of historical method, translation, and interpretation will be
      addressed including: hermeneutics, post-structuralism, and
      transnationalism.

      *Introduction to Dobringer�s Longsword*

      Guillame

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: 1 hour.

      Gear: Two handed Sword

      *Bolognese Sword and Buckler*

      THL Albrecht Stampfer

      Location: Multi-Purpose Room

      Length: Sword (Ideally 36�), Buckler

      Gear:

      --
      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian

    • Tara England
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2013
        Hi Aaron,

        I would like to host a discussion around a preliminary translation of
        "Practice and theory for the just employment of all types of weapons"
        by Giovan Antonio Lovino 1580. Basically a look at what I've
        translated so far and how it compares to existing ideas. Maybe try out
        any unusual plays.

        Schedule just an hour because I may not have too much translated, but
        hey even some preliminary work could be interesting right?

        Tara

      • tamlin_01
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
          Web site is up! http://septentria.ca/EaldormereAcademyOfRapier/