Summer time means reminder time

  • Gavin MacAidan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2013
      As the summer event season gets into full swing, I'd like to take a couple
      of moments to bring a few things to everyone's attention.

      The first thing is that, due to financial constraints on my part, I won't
      be able to travel nearly as much as I wanted, at least for a few months. I
      have an excellent marshallate and some highly qualified deputies out there,
      so I have few concerns in this matter. If, however, something arises, do
      not hesitate to contact me, at any time. I can be reached at home at (613)
      234-5106 or by cell at (613) 324-8833. Should there be an issue, I want to
      hear from you, marshals and fencers alike. Don't wait until the event ends,
      don't wait until later. Call me if there's a problem that cannot be
      resolved on the spot.

      The second thing is a reminder to all fencers and marshals to ensure the
      safety of all involved on the lists. I've had a number of people comment on
      the upward trend of calibration that's been becoming more common. Remember,
      it is your responsibility to ensure both your safety and that of your
      opponent on the list. If you feel a hit, take it, and trust in the honour
      of your opponent to call if the blow was not good. In return, touch your
      opponents as lightly as possible and trust in their honour to take the hit.

      Protect yourself.
      Protect your opponent.
      Have fun.