Re: [E_Rapier] Buying a Rapier

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
      It was my intention. See you then I guess?

      On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Bob Roberts <maskkasm@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi, I thought that I should add my recent experience with you.
      > Triplette: I purchased one of their rapiers in 2005. It broke at the tang
      > after less than one year of use (roughly two practices a week, no cut and
      > thrust). No support from Triplette was offered.
      > Darkwood: I have now had two swords from them. A heavy rapier and
      > recently, one of their katanas (actually a no-dachi/tachi � the thing is a
      > beast). After seven years of abuse (including a few years of significant
      > bashing while doing cut and thrust with Aaron and Ross), it broke at the
      > joining of the tang with the threading for the pommel nut. After contacting
      > Darkwood (with a lengthy introduction assuring them that I was not
      > complaining or expecting anything since I had received great value and use
      > from the sword) and asking them their advice about welding it back together
      > (which they provided with detail), Darkwood offered to fix it for me for
      > free (I only have to pay shipping).
      > So, while the Darkwood blades are a bit more expensive, the quality,
      > durability and follow-up service is excellent.
      > I hope this helps.
      > On a different note, are you (Aaron) going to the moot in February?
      >
      > ________________________________

      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2013
        I am thinking about it (it's been 6 years since I attended an event), especially if there will be many fencers (and perhaps some cut and thrust enthusiasts). It also depends if there will be room for lots of pickup bouts (what I am really interested in). From what I understand from the information available online, the site is small.

        Cheers!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2013
          Just so happens I'm in good with the Marshall in Charge. I can plead your
          case. =)

          She was thinking a Cut and Thrust Tourney was a good idea.