Long-hafted weapons experiement

  • Gavin MacAidan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2012
      Greetings all;

      This is an informational announcement to let everyone know that His
      Excellency, Giovanni di Enzinas will be conducting an experiment using
      long-hafted weapons for heavy rapier. If you are interested in
      participating or have questions regarding the experiment, contact His
      Excellency at jenzinas@....

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
        Hey All,

        The goal of this experiment will be to show that
        1. Fencers using these simulators will have no greater problems with
        calibration than current existing simulators. i.e. they are just as
        safe as what we are currently using.
        2. These simulators can stand up to the rigours of combat without
        excessive failure and without dangerous failure.

        Should you wish to participate in this experiment I need the details
        of what it is that you are going to do.

        This means I need to know:

        1. what it is that you are trying to make: e.g. Spear, Partisan,
        Glave, Naginata, etc.
        2. how you are going to make it: the construction details for the
        weapon simulator that you are making.
        3. What you are hoping to do with this: are you hoping to use this for
        one handed, 2 handed, thrusting only, regular rapier push and draw
        cuts, working with cut and thrust, using a secondary, etc.

        Once you provide this information to my satisfaction, I'll put you on
        the list of experimenters. once you are on the list, I will expect a
        weekly email letting me know what you did with the simulator. Even if
        you didn't use it that week, I still want an email saying so. The
        email should detail how it was used, what kinds of things it was used
        against and how hits were handled. This includes hard shots, even if
        your partner said they were fine and that it was ok.

        any questions?

        --Giovanni

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
          --Giovanni
          Are you providing any construction constraints? example, a length restriction?
          Jocelyn

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
            If I have someone at practice who makes 2 long-hafted weapons, with
            your approval, what is required of me to pick up the 2nd one and fight
            him with it?

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
              At this time I am not going to impose any restrictions, however, I
              reserve the right to reject a design as a bad idea (at least until I
              see it in person).
              I would discourage people from trying to use full length pikes.

              --g

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
                At this time, if you are going to use a long hafted weapon, I would
                like you to be reporting back to me, so in order to play, your name
                should be on the list.
                I would also appreciate commentary from people who are facing these
                simulators with other tools.

                --g

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
                  I'd suggest a pair of full fingered guantlets