Re: Rapier at Scotchtoberfest

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
      Whole heartedly seconded.

      Discussions like this, Marshall to Marshall, belong on the Marshall's List until clarified and available to share with the combantant'a at large.

      Apologies to the greater audience are extended. Please stay tuned.

      Jocelyn Cranewall
      Deputy KRM Ealdormere

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012

        > Thanks for sharing your ideas on the subject of two handed weapons,
        > knowing where people stand on various issues is critical in finding
        > consensus on improving such matter.

        And what have you interpreted my ideas as being?

        > I might suggest that you
        > a) don't play or marshall the tournament if you have safety concerns about it.
        > b) address your concerns about the issue of two handed weapons to the KRM.

        I am very fond of 2 handed weapons, I have a lot of fun playing with them.

        On July 8, as part of the changes to authorization procedures, our KRM wrote:
        "It is the responsibility of the combatant to become familiar with other
        devices covered by the authorization category before using them outside
        of practice."

        Albrecht's original posting said
        "Finally, in honour of the Germans, we will hold a two handed weapons
        tourney. Again it will double or single elimination depending on
        time/numbers. I'll try to make sure there are some extra two handed
        weapons available and remember, you only need your single
        authorization to use a two handed sword"

        Encouraging people who've never played with a longsword in practice to
        pick it up for a tournament. He has since clarified that he'll have
        some introduction to the weapons before people play with them, though
        it still sounds like he may provide verbal instructions and no chance
        for someone to use the weapon before entering the tournament.

        This is contrary to the guidelines for authorizations.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
          Please take this two the Marshal's discussion group.

          Jocelyn Cranewall
          Deputy KRM Ealdormere