Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier at Scotchtoberfest

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2012
      I should append that, it is a discussion for a separate subject
      heading for the Marshall's list.

      On 10/10/12, Aaron Miedema <govianus@...> wrote:
      > Indeed, and under a seperate subject heading would be the appropriate
      > place. =)
      >
      > On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> From Gerrard: It is also prudent for any Marshal or any fencer to voice
      >> concern where concern is warranted !
      >>

      >> On 10/10/2012 8:47 PM, Aaron Miedema wrote:
      >> >

      >> > Eyrny
      >> >
      >> > Thanks for sharing your ideas on the subject of two handed weapons,
      >> > knowing where people stand on various issues is critical in finding
      >> > consensus on improving such matter.
      >> >
      >> > But, Albrecht is correct on the subject of two handed weapons. This
      >> > is how kingdom policy currently stands.
      >> >
      >> > I might suggest that you
      >> > a) don't play or marshall the tournament if you have safety concerns
      >> > about it.
      >> > b) address your concerns about the issue of two handed weapons to the
      >> KRM.
      >> >

      > --
      > Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      > Historian
      > Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture *21 Brothers*
      > http://www.21brothers.com/

      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian
      http://www.21brothers.com/
      **
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
        Whole heartedly seconded.

        Discussions like this, Marshall to Marshall, belong on the Marshall's List until clarified and available to share with the combantant'a at large.

        Apologies to the greater audience are extended. Please stay tuned.

        Jocelyn Cranewall
        Deputy KRM Ealdormere

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012

          > Thanks for sharing your ideas on the subject of two handed weapons,
          > knowing where people stand on various issues is critical in finding
          > consensus on improving such matter.

          And what have you interpreted my ideas as being?

          > I might suggest that you
          > a) don't play or marshall the tournament if you have safety concerns about it.
          > b) address your concerns about the issue of two handed weapons to the KRM.

          I am very fond of 2 handed weapons, I have a lot of fun playing with them.

          On July 8, as part of the changes to authorization procedures, our KRM wrote:
          "It is the responsibility of the combatant to become familiar with other
          devices covered by the authorization category before using them outside
          of practice."

          Albrecht's original posting said
          "Finally, in honour of the Germans, we will hold a two handed weapons
          tourney. Again it will double or single elimination depending on
          time/numbers. I'll try to make sure there are some extra two handed
          weapons available and remember, you only need your single
          authorization to use a two handed sword"

          Encouraging people who've never played with a longsword in practice to
          pick it up for a tournament. He has since clarified that he'll have
          some introduction to the weapons before people play with them, though
          it still sounds like he may provide verbal instructions and no chance
          for someone to use the weapon before entering the tournament.

          This is contrary to the guidelines for authorizations.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
            Please take this two the Marshal's discussion group.

            Jocelyn Cranewall
            Deputy KRM Ealdormere