Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier at Scotchtoberfest

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2012
      From Gerrard: It is also prudent for any Marshal or any fencer to voice
      concern where concern is warranted !

      On 10/10/2012 8:47 PM, Aaron Miedema wrote:

      > Eyrny
      >
      > Thanks for sharing your ideas on the subject of two handed weapons,
      > knowing where people stand on various issues is critical in finding
      > consensus on improving such matter.
      >
      > But, Albrecht is correct on the subject of two handed weapons. This
      > is how kingdom policy currently stands.
      >
      > I might suggest that you
      > a) don't play or marshall the tournament if you have safety concerns
      > about it.
      > b) address your concerns about the issue of two handed weapons to the KRM.

    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2012
        Indeed, and under a seperate subject heading would be the appropriate
        place. =)

        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian

      • EVE HARRIS
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2012
          Just to get things back on topic, I understand the concerns of Her Excellency, the DSRM. There was a two handed weapons tourney at Murder Melee, and several people invoved had not handled a longsword before. After some discussion and some demonstration, the tourney went off without a hitch, and some of the participants were pretty enthusiastic about playing with longswords, which I'm thinking was one of the purposes of the tourney. I will do the same before the tourney I will be running at Scotchtoberfest.

          Also, if a person is sufficently skilled to have authorized in single sword, and is safe on the list in terms of calibration, the transition to using the longsword isn't a big deal, especially since they''l not be using it to do C&T but the thrust and drawcut of Heavy Rapier. That tends to take a lot of the risk out of it. As long as a person is made aware that they can deliver a harder blow with two hands, something I will make sure I will do, then there shouldn't be an issue.

          I hope I have addressed your concerns sufficently, Your Excellency, and I look forward to you participating in the days tourneys, so you can observe directly the steps taken to ensure a safe and fun day for all.

          Albrecht

          RMIC, Scotchtoberfest

          --
          Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
          Historian

        • Aaron Miedema
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2012
            I should append that, it is a discussion for a separate subject
            heading for the Marshall's list.

            On 10/10/12, Aaron Miedema <govianus@...> wrote:
            > Indeed, and under a seperate subject heading would be the appropriate
            > place. =)
            >
            > On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> From Gerrard: It is also prudent for any Marshal or any fencer to voice
            >> concern where concern is warranted !
            >>

            >> On 10/10/2012 8:47 PM, Aaron Miedema wrote:
            >> >

            >> > Eyrny
            >> >
            >> > Thanks for sharing your ideas on the subject of two handed weapons,
            >> > knowing where people stand on various issues is critical in finding
            >> > consensus on improving such matter.
            >> >
            >> > But, Albrecht is correct on the subject of two handed weapons. This
            >> > is how kingdom policy currently stands.
            >> >
            >> > I might suggest that you
            >> > a) don't play or marshall the tournament if you have safety concerns
            >> > about it.
            >> > b) address your concerns about the issue of two handed weapons to the
            >> KRM.
            >> >

            > --
            > Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
            > Historian
            > Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture *21 Brothers*
            > http://www.21brothers.com/

            Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
            Historian
            http://www.21brothers.com/
            **
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
              Whole heartedly seconded.

              Discussions like this, Marshall to Marshall, belong on the Marshall's List until clarified and available to share with the combantant'a at large.

              Apologies to the greater audience are extended. Please stay tuned.

              Jocelyn Cranewall
              Deputy KRM Ealdormere

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012

                > Thanks for sharing your ideas on the subject of two handed weapons,
                > knowing where people stand on various issues is critical in finding
                > consensus on improving such matter.

                And what have you interpreted my ideas as being?

                > I might suggest that you
                > a) don't play or marshall the tournament if you have safety concerns about it.
                > b) address your concerns about the issue of two handed weapons to the KRM.

                I am very fond of 2 handed weapons, I have a lot of fun playing with them.

                On July 8, as part of the changes to authorization procedures, our KRM wrote:
                "It is the responsibility of the combatant to become familiar with other
                devices covered by the authorization category before using them outside
                of practice."

                Albrecht's original posting said
                "Finally, in honour of the Germans, we will hold a two handed weapons
                tourney. Again it will double or single elimination depending on
                time/numbers. I'll try to make sure there are some extra two handed
                weapons available and remember, you only need your single
                authorization to use a two handed sword"

                Encouraging people who've never played with a longsword in practice to
                pick it up for a tournament. He has since clarified that he'll have
                some introduction to the weapons before people play with them, though
                it still sounds like he may provide verbal instructions and no chance
                for someone to use the weapon before entering the tournament.

                This is contrary to the guidelines for authorizations.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 11, 2012
                  Please take this two the Marshal's discussion group.

                  Jocelyn Cranewall
                  Deputy KRM Ealdormere