Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
      > From Gerrard:
      > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
      >
      > Not a Master of Arms.

      Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
      squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
      help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
      a different purpose.

      I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
      with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
      Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
      different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

      "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
      not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
      with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
      skill and experience with that person.

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          I really like Comrade at Arms.
          For a variety of reasons:
          Less offensive / Less confusing
          I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
          entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
          Like Play safe
          Have Fun
          Learn
          Teach
          Grow
          Promote
          ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
          ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
          Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
          May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
          If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            Laughs .. fair enough
            Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
            As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
            times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
            guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
            practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
            March ( If any ) Back in the day !

            On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

            > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
            >
            > Eyrny

          • tamlin_01
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
              Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                nothing more...