Definition of a student ???

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
      Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
      ( In general )
      Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
      Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

      So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
      teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
      new ways they aren't really my students...
      Thoughts ??
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
        > From Gerrard:
        > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
        >
        > Not a Master of Arms.

        Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
        squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
        help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
        a different purpose.

        I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
        with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
        Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
        different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

        "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
        not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
        with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
        skill and experience with that person.

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            I really like Comrade at Arms.
            For a variety of reasons:
            Less offensive / Less confusing
            I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
            entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
            Like Play safe
            Have Fun
            Learn
            Teach
            Grow
            Promote
            ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
            ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
            Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
            May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
            If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
              Laughs .. fair enough
              Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
              As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
              times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
              guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
              practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
              March ( If any ) Back in the day !

              On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

              > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
              >
              > Eyrny

            • tamlin_01
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                  Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                  nothing more...