Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      Yes that might be a better term ...!

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
        Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
        ( In general )
        Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
        Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

        So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
        teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
        new ways they aren't really my students...
        Thoughts ??
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
          > From Gerrard:
          > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
          >
          > Not a Master of Arms.

          Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
          squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
          help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
          a different purpose.

          I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
          with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
          Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
          different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

          "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
          not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
          with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
          skill and experience with that person.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
              I really like Comrade at Arms.
              For a variety of reasons:
              Less offensive / Less confusing
              I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
              entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
              Like Play safe
              Have Fun
              Learn
              Teach
              Grow
              Promote
              ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
              ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
              Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
              May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
              If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                Laughs .. fair enough
                Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
                As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
                times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
                guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
                practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
                March ( If any ) Back in the day !

                On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

                > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
                >
                > Eyrny

              • tamlin_01
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                  Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                    Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                    nothing more...