Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24 1:51 PM
      Perhaps ... yet then again what tastes good ?
      I like the taste of fun.
      Comradeship
      Connection
      Lifting
      Lineage etc... Its mostly something I would likely only do just once...
      ( If I do it at all ) There are other factors in play !

      However that is a very valid point! Thanks !!

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24 1:52 PM
        Yes that might be a better term ...!

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24 2:03 PM
          Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
          Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
          ( In general )
          Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
          Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

          So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
          teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
          new ways they aren't really my students...
          Thoughts ??
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24 4:11 PM
            On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
            > From Gerrard:
            > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
            >
            > Not a Master of Arms.

            Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
            squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
            help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
            a different purpose.

            I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
            with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
            Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
            different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

            "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
            not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
            with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
            skill and experience with that person.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24 4:12 PM
              An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24 4:29 PM
                I really like Comrade at Arms.
                For a variety of reasons:
                Less offensive / Less confusing
                I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
                entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
                Like Play safe
                Have Fun
                Learn
                Teach
                Grow
                Promote
                ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
                ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
                Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
                May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
                If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24 4:37 PM
                  Laughs .. fair enough
                  Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
                  As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
                  times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
                  guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
                  practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
                  March ( If any ) Back in the day !

                  On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

                  > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
                  >
                  > Eyrny

                • tamlin_01
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 25 6:55 AM
                    Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 25 8:04 AM
                      Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                      nothing more...