Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

  • Ross Weaver
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

      > **
      > Shorter question:
      >
      > Is there any convention that forbids me from selecting someone as my Man
      > at Arms ( Rapier )?

      Good taste?

      Man-At-Arms, or Rapier-At-Arms is a more, SCA thing, "Yeoman Usher" might
      be a more historically correct title. It could refer to someone who is
      associated to or paid by a noble that would lend a sword to the noble's
      cause if needed... (It is also vague enough it could mean many things...

      ~Wilhelm

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        Perhaps ... yet then again what tastes good ?
        I like the taste of fun.
        Comradeship
        Connection
        Lifting
        Lineage etc... Its mostly something I would likely only do just once...
        ( If I do it at all ) There are other factors in play !

        However that is a very valid point! Thanks !!

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          Yes that might be a better term ...!

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
            Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
            ( In general )
            Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
            Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

            So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
            teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
            new ways they aren't really my students...
            Thoughts ??
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
              On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
              > From Gerrard:
              > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
              >
              > Not a Master of Arms.

              Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
              squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
              help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
              a different purpose.

              I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
              with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
              Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
              different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

              "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
              not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
              with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
              skill and experience with that person.

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                  I really like Comrade at Arms.
                  For a variety of reasons:
                  Less offensive / Less confusing
                  I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
                  entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
                  Like Play safe
                  Have Fun
                  Learn
                  Teach
                  Grow
                  Promote
                  ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
                  ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
                  Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
                  May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
                  If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                    Laughs .. fair enough
                    Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
                    As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
                    times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
                    guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
                    practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
                    March ( If any ) Back in the day !

                    On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

                    > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
                    >
                    > Eyrny

                  • tamlin_01
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                      Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                        Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                        nothing more...