Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      Now see that could be the loophole I'm looking for .... big smile !!

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        Oh, are you referring to someone post student status? Perhaps Comrades (sp?) in Arms would work and be a little less like the reference to those knights wearing the baldric rather than the belt....?

        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
        From: thltoymaker@...
        Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:11:57 -0400
        Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

        Yes ... Simply because I no longer consider them to be " my student "
        Plus as my Rapier at Arms ...Well that just sounds wayyy more cool.
        Plus it has certain responsibilities...

        On 9/24/2012 2:50 PM, John Enzinas wrote:

        > In white scarf Kingdoms, the convention is to call them Cadets.
        > Is there any reason why you don't want to call them your student?
        >
        > --g

      • Ross Weaver
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

          > **
          > Shorter question:
          >
          > Is there any convention that forbids me from selecting someone as my Man
          > at Arms ( Rapier )?

          Good taste?

          Man-At-Arms, or Rapier-At-Arms is a more, SCA thing, "Yeoman Usher" might
          be a more historically correct title. It could refer to someone who is
          associated to or paid by a noble that would lend a sword to the noble's
          cause if needed... (It is also vague enough it could mean many things...

          ~Wilhelm

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            Perhaps ... yet then again what tastes good ?
            I like the taste of fun.
            Comradeship
            Connection
            Lifting
            Lineage etc... Its mostly something I would likely only do just once...
            ( If I do it at all ) There are other factors in play !

            However that is a very valid point! Thanks !!

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
              Yes that might be a better term ...!

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
                Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
                ( In general )
                Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
                Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

                So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
                teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
                new ways they aren't really my students...
                Thoughts ??
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                  On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
                  > From Gerrard:
                  > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
                  >
                  > Not a Master of Arms.

                  Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
                  squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
                  help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
                  a different purpose.

                  I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
                  with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
                  Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
                  different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

                  "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
                  not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
                  with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
                  skill and experience with that person.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                    An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                      I really like Comrade at Arms.
                      For a variety of reasons:
                      Less offensive / Less confusing
                      I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
                      entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
                      Like Play safe
                      Have Fun
                      Learn
                      Teach
                      Grow
                      Promote
                      ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
                      ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
                      Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
                      May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
                      If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                        Laughs .. fair enough
                        Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
                        As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
                        times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
                        guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
                        practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
                        March ( If any ) Back in the day !

                        On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

                        > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
                        >
                        > Eyrny

                      • tamlin_01
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                          Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                            Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                            nothing more...