Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      Yes ... Simply because I no longer consider them to be " my student "
      Plus as my Rapier at Arms ...Well that just sounds wayyy more cool.
      Plus it has certain responsibilities...

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        Now see that could be the loophole I'm looking for .... big smile !!

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          Oh, are you referring to someone post student status? Perhaps Comrades (sp?) in Arms would work and be a little less like the reference to those knights wearing the baldric rather than the belt....?

          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
          From: thltoymaker@...
          Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:11:57 -0400
          Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

          Yes ... Simply because I no longer consider them to be " my student "
          Plus as my Rapier at Arms ...Well that just sounds wayyy more cool.
          Plus it has certain responsibilities...

          On 9/24/2012 2:50 PM, John Enzinas wrote:

          > In white scarf Kingdoms, the convention is to call them Cadets.
          > Is there any reason why you don't want to call them your student?
          >
          > --g

        • Ross Weaver
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

            > **
            > Shorter question:
            >
            > Is there any convention that forbids me from selecting someone as my Man
            > at Arms ( Rapier )?

            Good taste?

            Man-At-Arms, or Rapier-At-Arms is a more, SCA thing, "Yeoman Usher" might
            be a more historically correct title. It could refer to someone who is
            associated to or paid by a noble that would lend a sword to the noble's
            cause if needed... (It is also vague enough it could mean many things...

            ~Wilhelm

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
              Perhaps ... yet then again what tastes good ?
              I like the taste of fun.
              Comradeship
              Connection
              Lifting
              Lineage etc... Its mostly something I would likely only do just once...
              ( If I do it at all ) There are other factors in play !

              However that is a very valid point! Thanks !!

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                Yes that might be a better term ...!

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                  Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
                  Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
                  ( In general )
                  Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
                  Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

                  So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
                  teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
                  new ways they aren't really my students...
                  Thoughts ??
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                    On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
                    > From Gerrard:
                    > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
                    >
                    > Not a Master of Arms.

                    Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
                    squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
                    help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
                    a different purpose.

                    I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
                    with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
                    Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
                    different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

                    "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
                    not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
                    with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
                    skill and experience with that person.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                      An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                        I really like Comrade at Arms.
                        For a variety of reasons:
                        Less offensive / Less confusing
                        I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
                        entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
                        Like Play safe
                        Have Fun
                        Learn
                        Teach
                        Grow
                        Promote
                        ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
                        ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
                        Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
                        May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
                        If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                          Laughs .. fair enough
                          Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
                          As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
                          times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
                          guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
                          practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
                          March ( If any ) Back in the day !

                          On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

                          > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
                          >
                          > Eyrny

                        • tamlin_01
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                            Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                              Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                              nothing more...